[NeedHelp] Pairing antivirus with Comodo

iScream

Thread author
Dec 7, 2011
I'm trialing F-Secure, since it's BD but lighter, but 2013 version does not have a firewall, thinking of getting Comodo firewall. Should I get Internet Security, or just the Firewall?

Hope it's the right place to ask.

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
If you are using F-secure Internet Security 2013 then it comes with in built firewall.
You have to ON windows in built firewall and f-secure will boost its performance similar like Trend micro or webroot

I agree F-secure don't have application control and if you want applicataion control you can add tinywall or sphinx windows control (this one work better)

If you are using f-secure av go with comodo firewall

iScream

Thread author
Dec 7, 2011
I can only guess that with all this customization ability of Comodo it can only be better than built-in Windows + the boost by F-Secure (which I think is only outbound control? And that is only 'Allow an application to communicate (anyhow it wants to) or not?').

Edit: Hmm... Why don't I see any options menu? Although it's asking for a restart, don't think it will magically appear. Only tried IS once, that had tons of options. This is a whole new interface too. Off to restart.

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
If you want to use comodo firewall than why not go with f-secure av but if you have f-secure IS license turn off its firewall and use comodo along side it.
You can make your homepage other then yahoo even when you have comodo

My personal view: I find F-secure Internet security as the most disappointing product.They don't have too many features and customization option in 2012 version and last they ruined their firewall too.

If I have to use F-secure product i will go with F-secure antivirus + #rd party firewall

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
I would recommend going for the full CIS suite. I have felt Fsecure to be heavy especially due to deep gaurd in comparisn to CIS.
But if its Fsecure then just use their booster, dont add anything atop. Deep gaurd should be enough for most threats.
The only suite I will give credit for use Windows firewall is Trend micro because they incorporate application control in un authorized change prevention module.

iScream

Thread author
Dec 7, 2011
Yeah true. Got IS before I thought of Firewall.
Found the settings. Needed to click the green back arrow.
Might get another AV, but since BD seems to do well, I thought I'd try F-Secure because BD but not hanging the machine.
Now to find an option to turn off Comodo sounds.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
If you want to use a firewall would you or have you considered ZoneAlarm Free Firewall?I know with past versions of F-Secure{pre 2013} it runs well alongside F-Secure.I have used ZoneAlarm Firewall for many years alongside ESET & Avast AV and it has always performed well and kept my machines Malware free.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Pairing an antivirus with a firewall can be tricky since many of the same features are included in both. Sometimes certain combos will work fine on some system while other systems you can run into all kinds of problems.

Windows default firewall will work with any AV, so you will not have to worry about compatibility issues.

The most simple way to avoid problems is to use a security suite AV + Firewall already included to be compatible.

Freeware security suite options include:

1. Comodo Internet Security (very powerful but requires constant maintenance and tweaking)
2. ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall (uses Kaspersky AV engine, excellent download protection)
3. Outpost Security Suite FREE (uses VirusBuster and Agnitum AV engines)
4. Roboscan Internet Security Free (uses BitDefender and Tera AV engines)
5. FortiClient Security Standard (has excellent zero-day malware protection)

Enjoy!!:D

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.