Advice Request Networking-privacy question.

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

poirotz

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2018
I run Windows10 pro and on top of it a Virtual Box machine with Linux Mint.
Now ,if i use a Luxenmbourg (for instance) server VPN, the approached website will see I am from Luxenmbourg.
Taken for granted the website can sniff the VPN via java or flash, can it determine also other data such as
OS, OS language or time-date?

poirotz

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2018
Thanks HarborFront,that is what i surmised and i am glad you confirmed.
I'd like to discuss with you another instance,though:

You go online with a Windows OS running a VPN- with a Linux Mint VB ,networking=nat , Firefox browser with geo location enabled.

The VPN has anti-tracking and switchkill facilities and runs in the host OS.

Suddenly the provider connection or the VPN connection dies=
FF Browser in Mint stops working and hangs.

To avoid trouble one should stop it, and when VPN reconnects and FF browser is again evoked, it starts again exactly from
where it left, having 'remembered' previous data.

My question is: in such a case can the original location of the browser and/or the host run any risk of disclosure?

I guess that if you modify the geo.location of the browser you are definetely safe even in such instance, although perhaps you
wont be able to access a lot of websites.

Am i right?

Reactions: Nevi

Fuzzfas

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 8, 2013
I run Windows10 pro and on top of it a Virtual Box machine with Linux Mint.
Now ,if i use a Luxenmbourg (for instance) server VPN, the approached website will see I am from Luxenmbourg.
Taken for granted the website can sniff the VPN via java or flash, can it determine also other data such as
OS, OS language or time-date?

Why don't you take an online test and see for yourself? There are various such sites, but just for reference:

In my case it has a mistake in resolution, but it correctly identified the exact browser, browser language, time and...GPU model.

Reactions: harlan4096

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
If the VPN stops then its killswitch should prevent all outgoing connections. Close the VM without saving and everything's gone. When you restart it'll be a totally new session.

Can someone corrects me if I'm wrong? Thanks

It's much better if you can run in this manner

VPN1 (host machine) => VPN2 (VM)

or

VPN1 (host machine) => VM => VPN2 (router)

That is having 2 different VPN providers

Last edited:
Reactions: harlan4096

poirotz

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2018
@Fuzzfas
thanks for the link,is a bit better than those i was using-like IPsecrets pe.

@HarborFront
it's not practical for me having two different vpn on account of the fact i dont look for absolute anonimity,but
rather i want to be sure the website thinks and continues to think, even with disconnections, that i belong to
a certain locality. Moreover, my VPN allows double connections.

I've today practically ascertained for sure that , using a VBox on top of a host with VPN, and provided the VPN
has Antitracking and KillSwitch , plus geo.location blocked in the VBox browser, there's no leak whatsoever.

Fuzzfas

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 8, 2013
It found HTTP attributes for me, but all is NA in Java Attributes.

It depends on what you run, what extensions you run, VPN or not i guess and such... Someone running Adblock plus (i think that one had a switch to block JS too?) with Chrome and under VPN will surely get better results than someone who goes in "naked". It's better than nothing for doing a sort of self-control.

Reactions: RKRN3

RKRN3

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Sep 6, 2019
It depends on what you run, what extensions you run, VPN or not i guess and such... Someone running Adblock plus (i think that one had a switch to block JS too?) with Chrome and under VPN will surely get better results than someone who goes in "naked". It's better than nothing for doing a sort of self-control.
I have uBlock Origin, maybe that helped?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.