New Intel AMT Security Vulnerability Discovered, Millions of Laptops Affected

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Thread author
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
As if the Meltdown and Spectre bugs weren’t enough trouble for Intel already, security researcher Harry Sintonen working for Finnish company F-Secure discovered another vulnerability that potentially affects millions of corporate laptops.
This time, the security bug exists in Intel’s Active Management Technology (AMT) and can be exploited by hackers to take complete control of a vulnerable device “in a matter of seconds,” as the researcher explains.

What’s important to note from the very beginning is that unlike Meltdown and Spectre, a successful exploit of this vulnerability (which doesn’t yet have a name) requires physical access to the device. But this is still a critical flaw, Sintonen points out, as a hacker can compromise a system in less than a minute and then remotely control it by connecting to the same network.

The vulnerability can be exploited even if other security measures are in place, including here a BIOS password, BitLocker, TPM Pin, or a traditional antivirus.

Read more: New Intel Security Vulnerability Discovered, Millions of Laptops Affected

D

Deleted member 65228

Another one.

This is a bit like cooking a pizza. You put the pizza into the oven and you turn the oven on and set the timer to tell you when it's been cooked long enough; Intel are the pizza and the timer is half-way there already.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Ah... wonderful... Apparently all it takes is to press Ctrl + P during boot and you can bypass BIOS and Bitlocker passwords.

I'm definitely buying an AMD by the end of the year. I can't deal with this BS. There is one critical Intel security bug every other week. And most of these "bugs" wouldn't even exist if this horrible company would be professional just for one second and not try to cheat their way to market dominance. Nobody ever asked for the Intel Management Backdoor other than the NSA.

yzJF1Sqf_400x400.jpg

Last edited:

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello,
I'm also planning to get an AMD laptop but it is not easy to find top-notch PCs with AMD processor:unsure:

Reactions: Vasudev and DeepWeb

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Intel AMT is available on most laptops which are light-weight or ultraportable and most used in corporates. So, if you've a gaming laptop AMT is absent altogether. Even I am thinking of going for AMD Threadripper & AMD Ryzen 7 laptops as well.
Dell's taking too long to fix ME exploits and Meltdown/spectre exploits. Its been 2-3 months awaiting for the fix.

Reactions: upnorth

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.