Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Slashdot said:
A new Mac OS X exploit was discovered Friday morning by Kaspersky Labs which propogates through a zipfile attachment. The attachment tricks the Mac user into installing a variant of the MaControl backdoor via point-and-grunt.

208193619.png

Embedded in the virus is an encrypted IP address belonging to a server in China which is believed to be a C+C server. Once installed, the virus opens a backdoor allowing the attacker on the C+C server to run commands on the compromised machine. Shortly after Kaspersky's announcement, AlienVault Labs claims to have found a similar version of the Mac malware which infects Windows machines. The Windows version appears to be a variant of the Gh0st RAT malware used last month in targeted attacks against Central Tibetan Administration. Both viruses are suspected of being tools in a campaign to attack Uyghur Activists."

Read more: http://apple.slashdot.org/story/12/06/29/2133211/new-mac-virus-discovered-making-the-rounds

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011
As much as I loathe the MAC, the title is a little deceptive since it applies to Windows as well.

RDTatel

Jan 1, 2012
i want to see apple's fanboy faces now, they all the time were saying that mac was the best because it can not get viruses.
pvDAw.gif

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
I have seen my cousin macbook and i term mac as a virus,windows is way ahead in all terms and if someone cannot afforf windows better to stick to linux.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
LOL, Stranger may be u are new to computers. Mac is a virus big joke man, Thanks had a laugh. IF you can say ppl shld try linux Mac, is based on linux's father Unix. Mac evolved from DarwinOS.
Also just say that to some artist or professional and they will tell you how Mac is indispensable. Have you used a Mac. Mac is a secure OS, due to the Unix architecture, but Mac OS was not so widely used so it was virus free. Still if you comapre amount of viruses for Mac and Windows, Mac viruses are negligible. In a server OS, linux and Unix based platforms are far more stable and preferred than Windows Platform.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
malbky said:
Mac is a secure OS, due to the Unix architecture, but Mac OS was not so widely used so it was virus free.

I realized that there is no 100% secure OS, even Linux. Apple just don't really care about security. The Flashback Trojan, have used a vulnerability in Java, which was an old version in the App store. After some weeks - according to what I remember - Apple added the latest Java version in their App Store.

"The malware first tries to install itself using one of two Java vulnerabilities. If this is successful, users will be infected with no intervention,"

Source of this quote: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/02/flashback-mac-trojan-is-back-with-new-and-improved-exploit-strategy/

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
I never said Mac is foolproof against hackers. But basically the Unix architecture is far stabler and secure. But WALT compare them to the ransomawares and MBR vs Mac viruses, Windows seems for unsecure, but if Mac was as used as Windows then maybe it would have had the same amount of viruses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.