New Mystic Stealer malware increasingly used in attacks

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
A new information-stealing malware named 'Mystic Stealer,' has been promoted on hacking forums and darknet markets since April 2023, quickly gaining traction in the cybercrime community.

The malware, rented for $150/month, targets 40 web browsers, 70 browser extensions, 21 cryptocurrency applications, 9 MFA and password management applications, 55 cryptocurrency browser extensions, Steam and Telegram credentials, and more.

Two individual reports on Mystic Stealer, published almost simultaneously by Zscaler and Cyfirma, warn about the emergence of the new malware, its sophistication, and what appears to be a surge in sales that brings many new campaigns online.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Didn't know got so many browsers...........many unheard of

Targeted web browsers​

• Opera
  • K-Meleon
  • Mozilla icecat
  • Mozilla Firefox
  • Comodo IceDragon
  • 8pecxstudios Cyberfox
  • NETGATE Technologies BlackHawk
  • Torch
  • Chedot
  • Kometa
  • liebao
  • Comodo
  • Iridium
  • Vivaldi
  • Orbitum
  • K-Melon
  • Chromium
  • QIP Surf
  • Maxthon3
  • Nichrome
  • Chromodo
  • Amigo
  • 7Star
  • CentBrowser
  • Mail.Ru Atom
  • Google Chrome
  • Coowon
  • uCozMedia Uran
  • CocCoc Browser
  • Microsoft Edge
  • Sputnik
  • Elements Browser
  • 360Browser
  • Epic Privacy Browser
  • CatalinaGroup Citrio
  • YandexBrowser
  • MapleStudio ChromePlus
  • Brave-Browser
  • Fenrir Inc Sleipnir5 ChromiumViewer
Luckily, my Ungoogled Chromium is not on the list. Librewolf amd Mullvad browsers also not on the list. 😁

I think the malware developer is using Ungoogled Chromium browser. 🙄

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Luckily, my Ungoogled Chromium is not on the list. Librewolf amd Mullvad browser also not on the list. 😁
I don't know about Mullvad but your Ungoogled Chromium is on the list because it's still Chromium. The "Ungoogled" part is irrelevant. ;)
70 browser extensions, ... 9 MFA and password management applications
@Wladimir Palant's warnings about these are well heeded, making my Little Black Book the safest bet. The tradeoff is less convenience for more peace of mind, and I'm fine with that.

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I don't know about Mullvad but your Ungoogled Chromium is on the list because it's still Chromium. The "Ungoogled" part is irrelevant. ;)

@Wladimir Palant's warnings about these are well heeded, making my Little Black Book the safest bet. The tradeoff is less convenience for more peace of mind, and I'm fine with that.

There are chromium browsers affected like Brave, MS Edge, Iridium, Yandex, Cent, Epic and Chromium

No mention of Ungoogled Chromium.

Like FF-based browsers Librewolf and Mullvad browsers not affected although some FF-based browsers are affected

No mention means not counted 😁

[correlate]

Level 18
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2019
A new information-stealing malware called Mystic Stealer has been found to steal data from about 40 different web browsers and over 70 web browser extensions.
First advertised on April 25, 2023, for $150 per month, the malware also targets cryptocurrency wallets, Steam, and Telegram, and employs extensive mechanisms to resist analysis.

Reactions: vtqhtr413

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
No mention of Avast or AVG browsers, but I guess those could be targeted anyway. Both are based on Chromium with a few extra Avast/AVG security features added in. I have been using Avast Free AV and the Avast Secure Browser on my Windows 11 laptop for the last few weeks now. They work very well together and I have yet to see the first upsell scareware notice from the Avast AV.

C.H.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
This guy has been around for a while now. I did test various samples (perhaps a dozen over a few months) of it against CF without noting any issues. Annoyingly some samples were VM aware (Vbox) and some, although supposedly being able to steal, were coded to call home if various things were detected running on the system, cis.exe being among them.

Perhaps due to the above in no sample that I had access to did I note any browser data being pilfered nor were any Outbound connections to anywhere noted (and a stealer without being able to transmit stolen data out is really just junk).

ebocious

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Oct 25, 2018
Yes. It was because of this very thread that I was wondering about it, when I saw someone trashing Comodo's developers because they don't publish malware analyses. But Comodo (Xcitium) has said they care more about prevention than detection, as a single breach can cost millions. Of course, I know detection is important, particularly when installing software from unknown sources. That, and knowing not to say yes to a UAC prompt when opening a document.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.