Serious Discussion New 'Outlook for Windows' app wants to Send your non-MSA data to its servers

Freki123

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
The new Outlook is not what it seems at first glance: a replacement for Microsoft Office’s Outlook – at least not yet. But what it definitely is: decidedly too curious.

Microsoft praises the new Outlook highly and wants to encourage users to switch. But be careful: If you try out the new Outlook, you risk having your IMAP and SMTP access data for mail accounts as well as all emails transferred to Microsoft servers. Microsoft explains that it is possible to switch back to the previous apps at any time – but the data is then already with the company. This allows Microsoft to read the emails.

New Outlook: Warning about data transfers

When adding a mail account in the new Outlook that is not hosted by Microsoft but is located on company mail servers, the program displays a message. It links to a support article that simply states that non-Microsoft accounts will be synchronized with the Microsoft cloud, although Gmail, Yahoo, iCloud and IMAP accounts are currently supported. The new Outlook also does this in the versions for Android, iOS and Mac. This means that copies of “emails, calendars and contacts are synchronized between your email provider and Microsoft data centers”. This gives the company full access to all emails and can read and evaluate them. Microsoft wants to provide functions that Gmail and IMAP do not offer.

German source: Microsoft krallt sich Zugangsdaten: Achtung vor dem neuen Outlook

Last edited by a moderator:

Balrog

Level 6
Verified
May 5, 2015
It's nothing new, I'm pretty sure those who use Exchange Server have suffered from it for a long time. I have no evidence to support my statement but it seems very logical to me, Microsoft being who it is. It's not like it's something other companies don't do, either.

Unfortunately, many users are forced to use Outlook by decision of their employer, others do it because "it is what they know" and they have no intention of learning how to use another email client.

Freki123

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
It's nothing new, I'm pretty sure those who use Exchange Server have suffered from it for a long time.
But Exchange would be most likely businesses while even regular people may use outlook. From a business admin I would expect he/she knows how data is handled by Exchange. From a regular person I wouldn't expect to know that all his email/login maybe send to MS.
Not an Exchange/Outlook user here so if I totally understood it wrong it may have happened :D

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
The new Outlook and third-party accounts

Windows users need to be very careful when it comes to the new Outlook. We recommend not to use it with third-party accounts at the time of writing until Microsoft publishes an official statement about this.

The new Outlook has a 3.5 out of 5 rating on the Microsoft Store. Reviews are mixed, and so are reviews on third-party websites.

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
1699855868_new_outlook_data_sharing_warning_source_heise.jpg

A few days ago, Microsoft revealed how it plans to move forward with its New Outlook for Windows app. Although it has been in preview for a while, one of the things that seem to have flown under the radar is the fact that the New Outlook can sync user mail data even when they are not Microsoft Account (MSA), like say Gmail or Yahoo.

German outlet Heise came across one of the cautionary notices about it when testing the New Outlook. The screenshot below says that their IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol) data can be synced with Microsoft's cloud servers with options to either proceed or opt-out.

Here is what the English (Google translated) version of the above message reads:
Synchronize your IMAP account rei@ct.de To add your IMAP account to Outlook, We need to share your emails with Microsoft Sync cloud. Existing contacts and events are not synchronized, but everything you create in Outlook is saved in stored in the Microsoft cloud. More information

Further Cancel

When one clicks on the "More information" option to learn more about what this is about, a support article on Microsoft's official website launches explaining in detail what this is about:
To enhance your Microsoft 365 experience in New Outlook for Windows, Outlook.com, Outlook for iOS, Outlook for Android, and new Outlook for Mac, you can now sync your non-Microsoft accounts (including their emails, contacts, and events) to the Microsoft Cloud. This is available for Gmail, Yahoo, iCloud, and IMAP accounts in Outlook for iOS, Outlook for Android, and new Outlook for Mac. Also available for Gmail and Yahoo accounts in New Outlook for Windows and available for Gmail accounts in Outlook.com.

What happens when I sync my account to the Microsoft Cloud?

Syncing your account to the Microsoft Cloud means that a copy of your email, calendar, and contacts will be synchronized between your email provider and Microsoft data centers. Having your mailbox data in the Microsoft Cloud lets you use the new features of the Outlook client (New Outlook for Windows, Outlook for iOS, Outlook for Android, Outlook.com, or Outlook for Mac) with your non-Microsoft account, just like with your Microsoft accounts.

Hence, according to Microsoft itself, the change is to enhance the experience of users such that they can enjoy the benefits of the new app on their non-MSA accounts too, which makes sense, though surely not all users will, understandably, want that. Thankfully, the option to reject the advances of Microsoft exists at the moment.

You can learn more about this on the support document webpage on Microsoft's official website.

Source

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
I got the Switch to Outlook Now option when I opened a Windows Calendar reminder. Looks a little different to Mail so played around with it some as I'm a Thunderbird user.

I then removed email account I set up in it because I don't need and ad at the top line of my in my inbox.
1702630196251.png

Thunderbird just works well for me and I can't see myself swapping over as of yet. I don't have 365 and my Office 2013 is not supported anymore. Good to see they are updating mail at least. Gone are the days when you used to just pay for OS/software or so it seems :)

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
The "new" Outlook keeps sending me spam such as credit card offers. So I uninstalled it very quickly. Not that I use Outlook anyways, I really don't like it much.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.