Not open for further replies.

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
Researchers at Perdue University have created a new software called HUSH that helps extend the life of Android devices by preventing battery drain caused by apps. How big is this problem? Researchers found that almost fifty percent of the device’s battery drain was caused by apps running in the background, and that almost thirty percent of that drain occurred even while the screen is asleep. The new software, which Perdue has made available for free, reduces that sleep-time drain by half.
What’s behind the drain? Let’s say your Candy Crush app wakes up your phone to alert you that you have more lives available now. Some apps that behave this way don’t let the phone go back to sleep due to bugs in the way they’re written, meaning a single alert can lead to a dead phone when you need it. HUSH puts the phone back to sleep the way you had it, despite any popup alerts that come in. Developers on the project also believe this function will not only keep your battery more fully charged when you need it for day to day use, but that it can also extend the overall life of the battery by not putting as much wear on it.

HUSH also works by noting which installed apps the user doesn’t open very often–if at all–and makes note of those apps. Once it’s been determined that the user doesn’t really take advantage of them, HUSH will shut off the activity in that app that causes battery drain. It doesn’t affect your ability to use the app when you choose to do so, it just halts the functions that eat your power.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Sadly, it's not yet available as an app. I'll definitely wait for the app's public release. :D

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Let’s say your Candy Crush app wakes up your phone to alert you that you have more lives available now. Some apps that behave this way don’t let the phone go back to sleep due to bugs in the way they’re written, meaning a single alert can lead to a dead phone when you need it.
Poorly coded apps are a real danger for battery life, so think twice before installing an app.
This HUSH app sounds interesting, however I would rather remove the app that is causing the issue instead of installing an app to control his behavior. I usually uninstall an app if I see that it pushes notifications even when not using it, and usually check the background running process so don't know how useful this would be for me.
However, I'm sure that there will be plenty of devices for which this app should be useful, even so I would carefully select which app I install on my device.

Interesting articles:
How to Find out What's Draining the Most Battery in Android
Find Out Which Apps Are Killing Your Android Battery

Last edited:

vinylmeister

Level 2
Verified
Jan 29, 2015
I can recommend PowerNap, if you have an rooted device with xposed installed. It has really a big impact on battery life and works like Xperias Stamina Mode. Give it a try.

Reactions: XhenEd and Jack
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.