New Windows 8.1 update 1 screenshots highlight modern app pinning

Status
Not open for further replies.

samit

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
We have yet more screenshots of the currently in-development update for Windows 8.1, which reveal new changes which we can expect to see be unveiled at Microsoft's annual BUILD conference. Today, we have screenshots of build 9600.16596 which introduces the ability to pin Modern UI apps directly on the taskbar.

25421_900.jpg

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
so there won't be win 8.2
but win 8.1 update 1.

good i would like microsoft to release windows 8 update for few more years.

Reactions: illumination

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
It was brought to my attention yesterday that HP is now actively pushing their computers pre-loaded with Windows 7 as seen at their site: http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Desktops/Desktops

Note that they say it is due to "Popular Demand". I certainly have never seen such a thing occur before, and shows how people are rejecting (quite correctly) the "grand unification" of desktop/tablet/phone travesty that is Metro. It's a shame, as I love 8.1 (with StartisBack installed, of course).

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
This would be a nice upgrade.I cannot blame HP because the average user wants it to be the same as what they have been accustomed to for years right out of the box.A little time spent when instant gratification has not been achieved might change some minds.If the average Joe doesn't want Windows 8 then PC sales fall and since HP is in the PC sales business this is a good move.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
As far as I understand, they use a similar update method for Windows Phone 8, the last update was GDR3 (General Distribution Release). And from what I know, the next update will be Windows Phone 8.1.

I'm guessing the Windows 8.1 Update 1 won't require users to "upgrade or perform a clean install", in a way it would be similar to a Service Pack.

samit

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
It was brought to my attention yesterday that HP is now actively pushing their computers pre-loaded with Windows 7 as seen at their site: http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Desktops/Desktops

Note that they say it is due to "Popular Demand". I certainly have never seen such a thing occur before, and shows how people are rejecting (quite correctly) the "grand unification" of desktop/tablet/phone travesty that is Metro. It's a shame, as I love 8.1 (with StartisBack installed, of course).

I think the most popular demand of HP users are give updated driver for notebooks and pc

Petrovic

Level 64
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
1_20140123_164949_173.jpg

Another day, another look at the spring update for Windows 8.1. While we saw in the last update that modern apps could be pinned to the taskbar, in these shots we can see a little bit more about the pinning, including a hover preview.

It’s becoming more clear that Microsoft is moving towards blending the modern and classic desktop environments with Windows 8.1 and Windows 9. Windows 9 is rumored to include the ability to run modern apps in a windowed environment on the desktop, which will go a long way for usability for those using Windows 9 on non-touchscreen devices.

screen_shot_2014-01-23_at_9.05.11_am.jpg

The latest screenshot leaks suggests that a build of the Windows 8.1 spring update may leak soon. While previous rumored leak dates have come and gone, the screenshot leaks are coming more frequently which could mean that more users have the build in their hands.

Microsoft is expected to either release or announce the spring update at its BUILD conference in April.

Windows 9 is not expected to be released until the first half of 2015 but rumors are suggesting that at the BUILD conference this year, Microsoft will outline its plans for the operating system.

I

illumination

Why dont they just do away with the whole start page, bring back the original start button and make a section in the start menu for the apss, with the ability to pin to the desktop? :rolleyes:
Seriously, Microsoft serves to millions, there is now way possible, they will please them all..

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Why dont they just do away with the whole start page, bring back the original start button and make a section in the start menu for the apss, with the ability to pin to the desktop? :rolleyes:
Seriously, Microsoft serves to millions, there is now way possible, they will please them all..
You would think this would be the easiest solution.One that would probably please most everyone.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Although it's hard to please everyone, you're forgetting it's something someone or a team has created, time & effort.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
The latest images show the familiar Windows Start screen, but with a couple of interesting changes.

windows-8.1-update-1-leaks-140125-01.jpg

In the current release of Windows 8.1, right-clicking on a Start screen tile with your mouse will bring up a menu bar at the bottom of the screen. But in the build shown in these images, taking that action now brings up a mouse-friendly menu that hovers directly over the tile that you've just right-clicked on.

windows-8.1-update-1-leaks-140125-02.jpg

The changes mean that mouse users will no longer have to sweep the cursor down to the bottom of the display to perform an action each time they right-click on a tile - for example, to resize it or unpin it from the Start screen.

windows-8.1-update-1-leaks-140125-03.jpg

We would assume that performing this action via touch - i.e. pushing and holding a tile - will still bring up the menu bar at the bottom of the screen, since the mouse-friendly menus shown in these images are far too small to be conveniently pressed by fat fingers.

windows-8.1-update-1-leaks-140125-04.jpg

One other major detail to note from these images can be seen at the upper right of the Start screen, which now includes a Search button and, at long last, a Power button. Windows 8.x users have long been vexed by the decision to 'hide' the Power options - including the facility to shut down or hibernate the system - under the Settings Charm located on the right-edge of the display. Many will no doubt be delighted to see this moved to a more accessible location.

Expect plenty more leaks related to Windows 8.1 Update 1 in the days and weeks ahead - and we'll be sure to cover them all here on Neowin.

Source and images: WZor.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.