New World Record Internet Speed

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Working with two companies, Xtera and KDDI Research, the research team led by Dr Lidia Galdino (UCL Electronic & Electrical Engineering), achieved a data transmission rate of 178 terabits a second (178,000,000 megabits a second) – a speed at which it would be possible to download the entire Netflix library in less than a second.

The record, which is double the capacity of any system currently deployed in the world, was achieved by transmitting data through a much wider range of colours of light, or wavelengths, than is typically used in optical fibre. (Current infrastructure uses a limited spectrum bandwidth of 4.5THz, with 9THz commercial bandwidth systems entering the market, whereas the researchers used a bandwidth of 16.8THz.)

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I wonder what's the use of such high transmission rates without means to record the transmitted data at a similar speed. It would require tremendous buffers unless there is some new data recording technology I don't know about.

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
I wonder what's the use of such high transmission rates without means to record the transmitted data at a similar speed. It would require tremendous buffers unless there is some new data recording technology I don't know about.
Technically if you don't split the fiber cable you might get similar speed but isps don't care about you only revenue

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Technically if you don't split the fiber cable you might get similar speed but isps don't care about you only revenue

There is still no sense for this transmission sped if the fastest storage devices can't reach 1% of it. The only reason would be to split the data stream to multiple users and may lead to higher speed and cheaper connections in the future.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.