NirSoft’s AdvancedRun is a supercharged Windows ‘Run’ box

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LabZero

Thread author
NirSoft has released AdvancedRun, a free tool for launching programs with custom user, priority, CPU affinity, window size and state, compatibility settings, environment and more.

Whatever settings you define can be used just once, or saved for reuse in shortcuts or scripts.

The highlight feature is probably AdvancedRun’s ability to run a program as another user.

In a click or two you can run a program as SYSTEM, giving it more rights to access files or Registry keys. There are options to run it as the current user, with or without elevation, to run it as an Administrator, even as the owner of some specified process.

Window-related options allow programs to be launched with a custom state (hidden, maximized, minimized), position or size.

The ability to set process priority and CPU affinity may help to improve performance or reduce a program’s impact on your system.

AdvancedRun can also launch programs with custom Windows compatibility settings, or with a new set of environment variables (a shorter path, maybe, or dropping other variables entirely).

None of this is particularly new, and you can achieve many of the same things by playing around with the advanced properties of shortcuts, or maybe combining them with Windows’ console-based start.exe tool.

AdvancedRun does make this functionality easier to access, though, as well as adding a few extras of its own, and on balance it’s a welcome addition to the NirSoft lineup.

AdvancedRun is a freeware tool available now for Windows XP — 10.

NirSoft’s AdvancedRun is a supercharged Windows 'Run' box

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
That CPU affinity feature is something I have interest in. Thanks for the share. Some older programs/games don't like multiple CPUs running it. Nice to be able to run them with limited CPU cores at start. Of course for all I know you can add a argument in the command line and do it but this is much easier.

I probably won't use this much but I will add it to my toolbox of programs (which I need to organize better instead of throwing them in a folder and uploading to OneDrive).

Enju

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
That CPU affinity feature is something I have interest in. Thanks for the share. Some older programs/games don't like multiple CPUs running it. Nice to be able to run them with limited CPU cores at start. Of course for all I know you can add a argument in the command line and do it but this is much easier.

I probably won't use this much but I will add it to my toolbox of programs (which I need to organize better instead of throwing them in a folder and uploading to OneDrive).
Nirsoft has a pretty nifty launcher for all of his applications: NirLauncher - Collection of more than 170 portable utilities from NirSoft
I would highly recommend it if you use more than one application from him! :)

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Nirsoft has a pretty nifty launcher for all of his applications: NirLauncher - Collection of more than 170 portable utilities from NirSoft
I would highly recommend it if you use more than one application from him! :)

Some of his applications can replace some of the older stuff I use so I'll use this. A tool that I'm currently very interested is one that can tell me exactly what an executable is doing/did such as adding a dll to this or that folder including registry, etc. There happen to be anything like that in here?

Edit: Nevermind. Seems Process Monitor is what I'm looking for.

Last edited:
Reactions: Enju
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.