No Ads being shown in Thailand, out of respect to King Bhumibol Adulyadej

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Advertisers noticed that Facebook had halted the ability to deliver ads on Friday, October 14. King Bhumibol Adulyadej died at the age of 88 on October 13.

This is the first time Facebook has halted ads in an entire country.

News via http://uk.businessinsider.com/facebook-pauses-ads-thailand-king-bhumibol-adulyadej-2016-10

Update on ad delivery in Thailand

Out of respect for the passing of Thailand's King Bhumibol Adulyadej, we’re temporarily not showing ads in Thailand. We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your support of the Thai community during this period of mourning.

Note that ads will continue to deliver as normal in other countries, and that advertisers in Thailand can continue to run ads outside of Thailand.​

Facebook FAQ: Help Center

Cohen

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
Facebook should stop existing in respect of the internet :rolleyes:
On a (more) serious note, I don't think they're doing this out of respect; I believe that they are doing it to get people to regard Facebook as "one of the good guys".

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Facebook should stop existing in respect of the internet :rolleyes:
On a (more) serious note, I don't think they're doing this out of respect; I believe that they are doing it to get people to regard Facebook as "one of the good guys".
Good that you can see this for what it is ;)
I 100% agree

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Lol that is the weirdest thing i ever heard. Ok i understand that there they have a mourning period of 1 year but still weird. This dude is not more important than the million that die in tragedies every day and i don't see FB helping those. Just a PR stunt.

Last edited:

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
It would be great if they would apply this no ad rule to the whole world. I would not mind at all :p
@Cohen You are absolutely right. It's pure marketing. FB lives from our data and from advertising so they can track what we like. You should think disabling this would hurt them but they still do it, so they benifit from it being like the 'the company that do care'. This is free advertising for fb instead.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.