Status
Not open for further replies.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
@Node: I understand your point of view and already read Your previous comments about no backup solution in Your system, but We have to follow strict rules here, and in general every system with no backup image system solution will be tagged as Caution, that doesn't mean Your config is not secure, as I said, apart from that Your config is indeed secure.

I hope You understand it and sorry for the inconveniences :)

P.S.: Anyway I will wait also for the comments about Your case from @Exterminator (whose rules and tips I'm following) :)

Node

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Aug 6, 2017
@Node: I understand your point of view and already read Your previous comments about no backup solution in Your system, but We have to follow strict rules here, and in general every system with no backup image system solution will be tagged as Caution, that doesn't mean Your config is not secure, as I said, apart from that Your config is indeed secure.

P.S.: Anyway I will wait also for the comments about Your case from @Exterminator (whose rules and tips I'm following) :)

I just find it quite ironic that there were no issues before when another team member marked it as secure.

Node

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Aug 6, 2017
Unless if you want to lose everything you have on your computer I suggest you listen to everyone else and download backup software such as AOMEI Backupper. That way, if your computer dies, you still have your system.

Read my comment above. I have no use for software as such, the only thing I keep that is important to me is documents that I store on flash/external drives. That is a form of a back up solution. If my system ever was to get to the point where I need to restore it I have a nifty USB that contains a copy of Windows. It takes 5-10 minutes to install.

Reactions: harlan4096
D

Deleted member 65228

@Node If your configuration is marked as "Secure" when the forum guidelines for a secure security configuration has not yet been met, then it will set an example to other members (potentially) that having a proper backup image of the system is not important. The security tag isn't there to insult you or anyone else, it is based on the forum'ms guidelines which are created by the staff team; they know what they are doing.

You don't have to change your configuration if you don't want to, no one is trying to force you to change it. If you feel that you know what you are doing then leave it with the cautioned status.

Node

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Aug 6, 2017
@Node If your configuration is marked as "Secure" when the forum guidelines for a secure security configuration has not yet been met, then it will set an example to other members (potentially) that having a proper backup image of the system is not important. The security tag isn't there to insult you or anyone else, it is based on the forum'ms guidelines which are created by the staff team; they know what they are doing.

You don't have to change your configuration if you don't want to, no one is trying to force you to change it. If you feel that you know what you are doing then leave it with the cautioned status.

What I'm trying to prove is: Having a back up solution has absolutely nothing to do with security, only data-loss prevention.

Flengo

Level 2
Verified
Oct 19, 2017
While I do understand that there are rules for security configurations for the staff to follow, I do think your config is secure.
Not everyone needs to backup their whole system; some people are fine if they make sure to backup their important files/folders. Hell, some people don't need to backup anything because they might not have anything worth backing up.

Reactions: HarborFront

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
What I'm trying to prove is: Having a back up solution has absolutely nothing to do with security, only data-loss prevention.
Your configuration is not insecure, indeed it is marked as "caution"and not "risky".
But generally speaking, not having a serious backup policy is a safety issue because we are talking about the security of personal data which, in my opinion, is really critical.
By tagging a configuration, staff will send a official message easily received by other members and guests so they understand if that config meets or not all the requirements.

Now, obviously you know what you are doing and indeed, if someone reads your thread, will understand the reasons why your config is marked as "caution".

D

Deleted member 65228

If you become infected one day then your documents may become affected, whether through a virus (even though they are no longer that prevalent at all), ransomware (much more likely considering ransomware is extremely prevalent nowadays) or the alike. What now? Backup to the rescue.

Backups are related to data-loss prevention; data-loss prevention is related to security.

Node

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Aug 6, 2017
Your configuration is not insecure, indeed it is marked as "caution"and not "risky".
But generally speaking, not having a serious backup policy is a safety issue because we are talking about the security of personal data which, in my opinion, is really critical.
By tagging a configuration, staff will send a official message easily received by other members and guests so they understand if that config meets or not all the requirements.

Now, obviously you know what you are doing and indeed, if someone reads your thread, will understand the reasons why your config is marked as "caution".

I've said numerous times that I back up documents that are important to me locally via USB and external drives. Software is not needed.

Node

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Aug 6, 2017
@Node: I got a tip from the previous Mod of this section: "just be straight and strict when giving tags..."

This is nothing personal, I hope You understand ;) probably the application of the rules of this section is open to discuss and interpretation, but just following @Exterminator & @Umbra tips :)

After some research I decided to choose a system backup software. I've added it to my post.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
While I do understand that there are rules for security configurations for the staff to follow, I do think your config is secure.
Not everyone needs to backup their whole system; some people are fine if they make sure to backup their important files/folders. Hell, some people don't need to backup anything because they might not have anything worth backing up.
Agreed.

My new setup for my MS SP4 tablet don't need a backup software

1) I save all my data (work files, pictures, videos etc) onto external USB devices
2) I'm using MS tablet. One click to reformat everything and another click to download everything from MS. No need to separate download Nvidia GPU driver, no need to separate download KILLER WiFi driver etc.
3) I have Shadow Defender(SD), WSA AV, SuperAntiSpyware Pro, FortKnox Personal Firewall, VS, ProtonVPN installed

Ransomware like file/drive encryptors, screen-lockers, MBR-based, data destroyers etc have no effect on my system. No need of dedicated anti-ransomware software

I have no data files for ransomware to encrypt, EFI/GPT is protected and info stealers/backdoors/RATs have nothing to steal from me. Worst scenario is if SD is bypassed I just reformat the whole drive....with one click.

:)

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016

Backup solution is not God-mode in gaming. Let me add something in the use of backup software

All the PROS have been elaborated now I want to speak on the CONS

1) Backup can be corrupted. Can you know? No, until you do a rollback/restore and realized it failed to restore/rollback properly
2) You can backup a malware without your knowledge. Can you know? No, until you restore/rollback that backup and realized it's malware infected.
3) Backup using an earlier version of the backup software can result in its inability to restore/rollback using a later version of the backup software

Above are some caveats in using a backup/rollback software in addition to other incompatibility issues

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.