Norton AV 2012 questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raul90

Level 14
Thread author
Feb 5, 2012
I guess this question is pointed towards the users and those who have experienced using Norton AV 2012. From a new user point of view I'd like to ask some questions and if there are any probable observations that you guys have experienced or seen while using NAV 2012 please do so share it.

a. what may I asked is the best firewall that can gel well with it (outside Norton IS and windows firewall).
b. any issues with any other security software such as MBAM / SBIE / Spyshelter or Keyscrambler..?
c. updating issues with a dial-up connection and wireless dsl?
d. on malware detection, any observations that you might wanna share..? I read somewhere that cleaning is effectively done in SafeMode..? I think that was in PCMag or some pc magazine..can't remember..?
e. any issues with Acronis True Image 2011 or Paragon Backup and Restore Suite 2011..?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Since its an AV assume any firewall could be alongside.

Well Norton AV doesn't have a sandbox so sandboxie would do it ok even keysrambler/spyshelter too. Goes along with MBAM realtime protection.

As long you have a connection to have a latest updates and since their feature were having a File Reputation version which need a connection active.

From Malware detection, with the feature of Download Insight and File Insight the detection came better and few could bypass it.

No issues since its a backup program that Norton AV does not have included the feature for backup.

Raul90

Level 14
Thread author
Feb 5, 2012
jamescv7 said:
Since its an AV assume any firewall could be alongside.

Well Norton AV doesn't have a sandbox so sandboxie would do it ok even keysrambler/spyshelter too. Goes along with MBAM realtime protection.

As long you have a connection to have a latest updates and since their feature were having a File Reputation version which need a connection active.

From Malware detection, with the feature of Download Insight and File Insight the detection came better and few could bypass it.

No issues since its a backup program that Norton AV does not have included the feature for backup.

@jamescv7,

Just saw a review of PCMag about Norton AV and there was a mentioned issue with the first update for new installation..that it took nearly forever something in that term..I will be using mostly dial-up on the pc that I will try out Norton AV so I am concerned on this. But I'll check it out.

I was more on the dilemma of the firewall there. I had some AV's that will not play nicely with my choice of free firewalls(3rd party Online ArmorFree or Comodo or Privatefirewall).

Thank you.

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011
Comodo makes a great firewall, or you could simply stay with MS firewall. I would worry more about what type of add-ons you will add for a layered approach. Browser addons (no-script, ghostery, wot or m86, etc.), MS Emet, Sandboxie, etc. Also make sure all malware gap programs are fully updated (MS Office, Java, Adobe).

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
There are some firewall alternatives there like ZoneAlarm, Malware Defender and PC Tools Firewall Plus. Try it for their compatibility.

Well if you are using dial-up then just be patience on the updates since it has a bit gigantic for it.

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011
http://www.symantec.com/security_response/definitions/download/detail.jsp?gid=savce
Download from a fast internet pc and throw it on a usb drive, once norton is installed decline live update and update from usb drive.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
Raul90 said:
b. any issues with any other security software such as MBAM / SBIE / Spyshelter or Keyscrambler..?
I tried it under Wondershare Time Freeze. I browsed with NAV for about 4 hours, there's no noticeable issues with Sandboxie(the only security program that I am using). If you install Norton and you are using SBIE, make sure to apply software compatibility.

It felt good, seems like a nice AV, if you use its along SBIE, you should be OK.

Bo

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.