On Sale! Norton Core Wifi Router - $149.99!

Disclaimer: We cannot guarantee that all promo codes will remain active. Some offers have a short validation period and expire.

lowdetection

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Indeed the paradigm of security is slowly moving, just a heads-up, that with time and a bit of knowledge, similar and more effective solutions are provided by opensource softwares, PiHole for example; anyway is not bad to break a lance in favour of vendors that try new ways, so good work Norton.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I haven't done much testing on Norton Core and only cursory inspection of one, but it's basically one of the newer generation home UTM-Like devices that are becoming prevalent. At some point soon, like really soon, every home router will have UTM features. It's inevitable and it's unstoppable. Gateway level protection has to be improved due to the increased threat surface of homes and the pervasive spread of IoT.

Norton Core has some good parental controls, internet pausing, device auditing features that are galaxies above any basic home router. It's app is pretty good, and you have a decent pane of glass over activities on your network. It also includes a free license for Norton Security for all of your devices. Not bad there. This is a Layer 6 device so it provides intrusion protection, session and presentation awareness of packets/sessions on your network. That in and of itself is vastly superior to a traditional home router.

My only concerns with it are - limited settings/configurability, which is common in these home UTM solutions, it helps secure them when you don't have a Web Gui. Also the dual-core ARM in it probably wouldn't do that well at higher internet speeds so be careful if you have a fast connection, you may see issues, also I am not 100% confident that CPU can do L6 inspection without some slowdown. (but I would need to test it) Also it has no MESH support so you'll need some AP's if Norton won't cover your whole home.

Personally I like the Gryphon among the home UTM's. Mostly due to it's speedy quad core ARM, MUMIMO 4x4, Huge range. AI/ML IPS, ESET on the gateway and full Layer 7 inspection along with MESH support. But for a home not needing mesh, and not running a really high speed connection, Norton might be good for you. It's certainly going to offer protection far above normal routers in the home.

Aypex

Level 1
Aug 19, 2018
It's expensive I find for a tool like this. After that he still protects very well, I think. Sometimes, the higher the price, the better the software.

Reactions: oldschool

Dark Knight

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
This piece of plastic looks nice, probably also provides protection.
But let's be honest, this thing was only created because Synamtec can't make money with antivirus software anymore because pc protection is now free.

They are all doing it now, Bitdefender has been peddling it's "Box" for quite some time now.

The funniest thing is that the masses buy into this crap and people are paying exorbitant yearly subscriptions for these things, when the fact of the matter is a well configured router with the latest firmware updates and a GOOD password will do the job. The AV companies spend a lot of time and money making everyone believe there is an unmarked truck parked outside your house just waiting for the first opportunity to hack into your system ! :eek:

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

They are all doing it now, Bitdefender has been peddling it's "Box" for quite some time now.

Bit Defender had box, then Box 2.0. But certainly wasn't the first. The distinction for the first home UTM goes to ITUS.

iGuardian - The Home Internet Security System

Basically the IGuardian was a pre-configured PfSense w/Snort, ClamAV, and Squidguard.

The funniest thing is that the masses buy into this crap and people are paying exorbitant yearly subscriptions for these things

Actually 'the masses' haven't bought into them yet. Sales of UTM/UTM-Like solutions aren't that stellar right now. ASUS with their routers having AiProtection leads the way because it's by default in them now. (for free) ALL Netgear routers will have them by default by the end of the year because Bit Defender partnered with them after Box is basically a failure. Many don't have subscriptions by the way..

when the fact of the matter is a well configured router with the latest firmware updates and a GOOD password will do the job

It depends on what 'job' you want to do. A simple L2 router isn't really going to do anything for you except provide DHCP and DNS forwarder services and router patches from your local ARP out to the WAN with NAT traversal. What's that? Nothing really. It has no awareness of any packets coming or going, as such, it provides no security and safety whatsoever. It would be like me saying a pedal operated car will get me to work so it will 'do the job', I'd sound stupid saying that..

What these newer devices do - often without a subscription (like Gryphon) is they provide in some cases application level inspection and protection on your network. These are important things. This is why enterprise/corporate networks ALL use these devices. They're very protective, informative, and usually fairly well hardened from attackers. More critically, they tend to protect your internal IoT from a wide variety of compromises and intrusions. As homes get more and more IoT inside of them this kind of thing will actually be a necessity. This is just a runoff from the corporate world where these rigs have been used as a necessary protection layer.

he AV companies spend a lot of time and money making everyone believe there is an unmarked truck parked outside your house just waiting for the first opportunity to hack into your system ! :eek:

No offense but this tells me you don't know what is really going on. Most 'hacking' is quite automated these days. Recently we knocked hackers off a network that were performing 32,000 password attempts a day. There wasn't some dude sitting somewhere typing 32K passwords in a day. It was an automated system attempting SSH ingress over Root/Admin/Administrator type of combinations. I wish I had accurate figures of the sheer numbers of these we see a day, all over the world, but it's pretty exorbitant.

But the reality is, these UTM/UTM-Like devices are not only for protecting you from hackers, but for handy things like application control within your network, parental control, URL filtration, IPS/IDS, Wireless Intrusion Protection, ARP validation and an assorted variety of really cool things that come in very handy. Naturally corporate networks have at times a HUGE threat surface, with all of those open ports, servers, and other things - so they're required. But as the home users adds more gear, more computers, more tablets/phones and more IoT their threat surface is becoming very substantial.

Dark Knight

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
No offense but this tells me you don't know what is really going on. Most 'hacking' is quite automated these days. Recently we knocked hackers off a network that were performing 32,000 password attempts a day. There wasn't some dude sitting somewhere typing 32K passwords in a day. It was an automated system attempting SSH ingress over Root/Admin/Administrator type of combinations. I wish I had accurate figures of the sheer numbers of these we see a day, all over the world, but it's pretty exorbitant.

"No Offense" But it was a joke dude, just making a play on surveillance back in the day, I am quite familiar with hacking techniques these days and how it is done, I didn't just fall off a turnip truck into the internet yesterday, was just trying to make a point that subscription based or not, no one in their right mind would buy into something like this, especially with what they want to charge for them ........ Lighten up

AV companies are grasping for straws, they never prepaired themselves years ago for the possibilty of Windows having it's own security features that would be just as good or better then theirs.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

We have a joke at work..

Each time Microsoft comes up with something decent for security we say 'Give it a few months'. So far, like clockwork, this is right. Generally speaking, Windows is a joke for security and probably always will be. Anything Microsoft does is nice for a few months, then becomes pretty bad. Think about it, back in the original MSE days, they bought two of some of the best products in the world. GIANT Antispyware and Reliable Antivirus (RAV), and within months after they put out MSE it became pretty useless.

So... Give it a few months.

Dima007

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Apr 24, 2013
Nice review for Norton core router : Norton Core Router Reviewed - SmallNetBuilder

Closing Thoughts

Many of us are looking for an reasonably-priced, easy-to-use solution to help protect us against the evils that lurk on today's internet. And some of us are getting to the point where we won't mind paying a reasonable monthly fee to ensure that safety.

Unfortunately, like most other internet security "solutions" we've looked at, Norton by Symantec's Core Router doesn't make the grade. It failed our very simple zombie machine check and has the usual weaknesses with its website content filtering.

If you use Core with devices protected by its companion Norton Security Premium Windows, MacOS, iOS and Android apps, you'll be able to rest a little easier. But if you're expecting it to detect all the nefarious activity your webcams, streamers, printers, etc. might be up to, it doesn't look like it will.

Most of all, Core fails the minimum requirements for any router that hopes to make it today, specifically, the ability to keep up with 100 Mbps+ internet connections and decent Wi-Fi performance. No matter how good Core's security features may be, if it has worse Wi-Fi performance than the router it replaces, it will probably go right back to the store. Since Core's performance landed it at the bottom of our Router Ranker, I can't even recommend Core as a plain ol' Wi-Fi router.

Reactions: vtqhtr413
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Pretty much what I heard as well, it's performance is anemic if you have 100Mbps or higher. Norton has been falling way behind in web protection for the last year or two as well. It's probably OK for slower connections, but there are better options from the looks of it. Gryphon is going to be a way better option as the performance of the Gryphon far outstrips most all of the best consumer offerings and Gryp has ESET under the hood which has way better web filtration.

Reactions: Libera Milanesi

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.