Norton DNS adds "Continue to Site"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark

Thread author
Apr 22, 2011
I do not remember it being there last time I tested Norton DNS (less than a week ago). Norton DNS is now a viable option for me.

Also, the second result when searching Google.ie for norton dns "continue to site" displays a fake Norton DNS message: http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/6837/2011052913066889181366x.png.

nortondns.png

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
Great to see this. Though I'm now using ClearCloud and probably won't go back.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Nice to see what is the blocked screen when Norton DNS blocks things. Thanks Mark.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Great, so if any possible that can be flagged a FP just dismiss the message by continue the site.

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
Correct. The downside though is that it weakens security. Your kid for example, could continue to a site anyway. I'm not sure if it's an optional feature.

Maybe inapropriate sites get blocked outright, wheras malicious websites you get the option?

G

Guest28

I like clear clouds way of doing things. They have a submission for false positives and they fix them quick. I rather not have a *continue site option* I say shoot now and ask questions later.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Just to add also that they make "continue to site" not recommended as it will exposed in viruses and malware.

Tweak

Jan 8, 2011
I tend to feel for those that are knowledgeable enough to know when to use such an option this is a very good thing, for a less educated person however this could obviously lead to a much higher degree or rick and likely infection. Personally I have found both ClearCloud and Norton to be very slow for me sadly but I am hopeful this will improve and with this added option I would again consider Norton more than I would have, as Ryan stated ClearCloud has a nice False Positive submission ability that hopefully Norton will also one day offer. ( By that I mean a quicker and easier method, not that one does not already exist)

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
To me this is A step in the right direction. Their submission method isn't exactly easy. Might try it out again.

Do they still block the server rather then the specific site? I remember some incidents of images not loading on some sites because there had been one bad file on that server in the past.

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
Just another note. It looks like you only get this feature if you install the client. I entered the DNS settings manually, and still only got the old block page, no option to continue.

Mark

Thread author
Apr 22, 2011
In the virtual machine, I used DNS Jumper. In Arch Linux, I entered them manually. Both showed "Continue to Site."

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Not a bad addition :) .
I have read many post in different forums in which user complained about the Nortond DNS FP's, this "Continue to Site" button is really useful since it will allow users who know that a certain site is safe to visit it without being forced to stop Norton DNS.
I would also like to see a "easy to use" FP report button.

Mark

Thread author
Apr 22, 2011
iPanik, they do still block the domain, not just the offending webpage.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Probably both client and DNS are both updated thus there is "continue to site".

Mark

Thread author
Apr 22, 2011
Javascript must be enabled for nortondns.com to see "Exit This Site" and "Continue to Site". Source.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.