App Review Norton Power Eraser Fun Fact

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
cruelsister

Jonny Quest

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
Thank you, @cruelsister :) So I guess a second opinion scanner, especially for those of us who are not using CF, is to review scheduled tasks in Task Scheduler every so often, and not totally relying on or hoping in 2nd opinion scanners. You reminded me of this not only from this video, but also in reviewing your summary results of A Racoon Stealer Quick Dance video.

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Thank you, @cruelsister :) So I guess a second opinion scanner, especially for those of us who are not using CF, is to review scheduled tasks in Task Scheduler every so often, and not totally relying on or hoping in 2nd opinion scanners. You reminded me of this not only from this video, but also in reviewing your summary results of A Racoon Stealer Quick Dance video.
Absolutely correct! The regular real time anti-malware application is geared toward immediate (acute) threats, whereas a 2nd opinion scanner would be used to detect chronic threats that may have bypassed the real time protection that persist primarily via simple registry Startup entries or through Scheduled Tasks.

As many who actually viewed the bunch of 2nd opinion scanner videos on this channel would have noticed, none are totally adequate in protection from the mechanisms of persistent malware (as an aside, one should NEVER (never, ever) just blow off detections in users/local/Temp as these also can persist and is a favorite place for malware to hang out for days- whenever security videos where the author states not to worry about them makes Ophelia purr with malicious delight).

Anyway, Best practice is to use simple tools that exist in Windows like Task Manager for acute threats and Startup and Task manager for persistent thingies- such a quick analysis by the user can be more beneficial than blind reliance on 2nd opinion scanners.

LennyFox

Level 7
Jan 18, 2024
I like using ProcessExplorer as replacement for TaskManager plus AutoRuns after each windows major windows update. Also Microsoft's Malware Removal Tool is also pretty decent.

Because every youtube tester runs NPE and HMP, I also run Norton Power Erasor and Sophos Scan & Clean ocaasionally, but have to say your videos have raised doubt on the effectiveness of using secondary scanners. ;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.