Norton Toolbar not compatible with FF 4.0.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhartsellm

Thread author
Mar 8, 2011
Here we go again. This is irritating:mad:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Norton-Toolbar-not-compatible-with-FF-4-0-1/td-p/442788

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
Man am I glad I'm now using Avast....This is ridiculous.

Apparently there is a fix that works. However Symantec don't recommend it.

Actually, the toolbar works fine in Firefox 4.0.1, but it just doesn't know it! Here is the fix. 1) Disable Norton Tamper Protection. 2) Find the file install.rdf dated 4/6/2011 hidden in a subdirectory of a Norton data folder. Open install.rdf in Notepad. Change the maxversion setting from 4.0 to 4.0.1. Save the file. 3) Reenable Norton Tamper Protection. 4) Open Firefox and install the update.

Posted By Tony_Weiss:

Thanks everyone for letting us know about this issue. We're working on it, and I'll post an update when I get more information. For now, if you want to continue using the Norton Toolbar with Firefox, I recommend that you hold off on upgrading to 4.0.1.

Additionally, I DO NOT recommend editing, modifying, or removing any Norton product files. This is extremely risky, and has the potential to compromise your system security.
Tony Weiss
Norton Forums Global Community Manager
Symantec Corporation

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
I find it strange for a big vendor like Symantec not being able to keep up with the latest releases.......It;s not the first time when Symantec was caught on the wrong foot.
So will you guys go back to Firefox 4.0.0 or ?

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
Well It is unexeptable. However it was a hotfix designed only for Firefox 4.0. (I think)

Two choices, either downgrade or stay at Firefox 4.0 with security holes open. Or upgrade to a more secure Firefox 4.0.1 and lose a major part of NIS :rolleyes:

hmmm...

mhartsellm

Thread author
Mar 8, 2011
Downgrading Firefox 4.1 will not happen here. Mulling over whether to wait or apply the so called unrecommended fix.:huh:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Curious to know what does the Norton Toolbar has to offer?

Is it IE9 compatible (yet)?

mhartsellm

Thread author
Mar 8, 2011
Yes there is no problem with IE9.

The Toolbar offers Web Safe (similar to WOT) & Identity Safe (which I love) for storing usernames, passwords and credit card information.

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
mhartsellm said:
Yes there is no problem with IE9.

The Toolbar offers Web Safe (similar to WOT) & Identity Safe (which I love) for storing usernames, passwords and credit card information.

To be critical, Safe web is more similar (however IMO superior) to McAfee Siteadvisor. It isn't community based.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Again? They must have release immediately before the time FF 4.0.1 release.

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
Someone posted:

@Tony_Weis: You stated: "I'm surprised more people aren't concerned with the security concerns involved in manually modifying their Norton product. That's a very risky operation, with serious security issues." Please explain why changing the maxversion parameter from 4.0 to 4.0.1 is a "very risky operation" .... especially after several customers have posted in this frum that they have made that change, it works, and (so far) they have not encountered any problems. Stop using FUD and start giving us some facts .... explain the explicit risk associated with changing the maxversion parameter.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Nort...t-compatible-with-FF-4-0-1/td-p/442788/page/6

Waiting for a reply back to that one... :D

mhartsellm

Thread author
Mar 8, 2011
Yes I'm using that now and it seems to work OK. I was using it on 4.0 before the hotfix came out, it will still say in the Add on Manager Firefox 4.1 is not compatible with the Toolbar. This is something that needs to be fixed without these go arounds. The lastest word:

c/p
I'm sorry, I don't have an update right now. Our team is working to get this issue fixed and released. I know some of you are very upset about the problem, and i'm truly sorry.
Tony Weiss
Norton Forums Global Community Manager
Symantec Corporation
http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Norton-Toolbar-not-compatible-with-FF-4-0-1/td-p/442788/page/8

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
A post by Symantec Employee abhay_kulkarni, explaining:

Why does it take so long for Norton to release updates to support newer Firefox releases?

And

Why is Norton Toolbar hotfix not compatible with FF 4.01?

http://community.norton.com/t5/Nort...ompatibility-with-Firefox-Updates/td-p/443808

Also, an ETA for a patch:
Now here comes the good news: we are working on releasing a patch for NIS 2011 and N360 v5 which will add compatibility for Norton Toolbar with FF 4.0 (and all future minor updates of FF 4.0 – such as 4.01 or 4.02 etc.). This patch will be released very soon. Expect an update from us within the next week.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
That's a good hear well symantec customer must relax for their complaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.