Battle Norton vs McAfee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korora

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jul 22, 2015
So I decided to do a battle between to AVs that aren't widely used that much anymore (they're still used... but not as much).

If I had to choose between the two I'd probably go with Norton but I won't ever be getting neither of these.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Hmm dunno, Like in eset(nod 32) you choose interactive mode, and you allow or disallow all ingoing/outgoing connections, i'm not familiar with norton yet, that why im asking (sorry if its sounds dumb)
Go to settings, then go to firewall, traffic rules i think is what you may be after. ;)

Reactions: Evgeny

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Are you sure Norton can't give you the choice with a file? Mcafee gives it

I noticed low threats or unknown threats by HIPS give you an alert. Same with Norton but I've never seen it do every single threat it detects give me a choice of what action to take. It takes the action by itself. I don't believe I missed any options but if I did I would like to know where it's located. Getting power of the actions of every single detection is what makes me use a vendors AV products or not.

Shran

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 19, 2015
got a question for you:
how do i set the firewall to interactive, so i would choose what to allow and what not.

thanks!

Hmm dunno, Like in eset(nod 32) you choose interactive mode, and you allow or disallow all ingoing/outgoing connections, i'm not familiar with norton yet, that why im asking (sorry if its sounds dumb)

I think this may be what you are after:
First, go to settings (click the small text that says "settings" near the top right corner when you open the main UI)
upload_2015-7-26_15-10-8.png

Now click Firewall --> Advanced Program Control:
Note these are NOT default, these are my personal settings. These settings ask me regarding outbound connections if the application has a low reputation, is suspicious, or isn't used often. It's also a bit more sensitive in what it determines is suspicious or malicious connections than the default.
upload_2015-7-26_15-11-29.png

If you want it to ask you about ALL outbound connections then click where it says "Automatic Program Control" & set it to "Off", you will get this warning:
upload_2015-7-26_15-14-11.png

If you click yes, then click the "Apply" button at the bottom of the screen, it will ask you about ALL outbound connections.

Shran

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 19, 2015
You can also edit access for individual applications later regardless of if the rule was automatic or one you created with Automatic Program Control turned off:
upload_2015-7-26_15-17-2.png

Shran

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 19, 2015
Apologies for not consolidating this into one post.

I noticed low threats or unknown threats by HIPS give you an alert. Same with Norton but I've never seen it do every single threat it detects give me a choice of what action to take. It takes the action by itself. I don't believe I missed any options but if I did I would like to know where it's located. Getting power of the actions of every single detection is what makes me use a vendors AV products or not.

You can only change the settings regarding automatic removal on suspicious items, archives, & SONAR detections.
Settings-->Antivirus-->Automatic Protection-->Realtime Protection:
You have the options of "Always", "High Certainty Only" & "Never":
upload_2015-7-26_15-25-53.png

Now go to ...-->Scan and Risks:
If this setting is chosen & a static scan detects an archive with ANY infected file, it will remove the entire archive, not just the detected file(s)
upload_2015-7-26_15-27-12.png

In that same setting menue, scroll down to "Exclusions / Low Risks":
This setting is regarding detections which are not rated as at least "medium" or higher, for example the AMTSO PUP test. If I set it to ask me it allows access to the file & allows the file to execute until I take an action:
upload_2015-7-26_15-34-11.png

This sort of detection does not come up often, as most threats are least rated as medium.

Attachments

• upload_2015-7-26_15-28-13.png
    upload_2015-7-26_15-28-13.png
    21.2 KB · Views: 336
  • upload_2015-7-26_15-32-4.png
    upload_2015-7-26_15-32-4.png
    21.7 KB · Views: 336
Reactions: frogboy

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
These two products are commonly known to be included in OEM laptop/desktop.

• Both have mediocre protection from their collection of older version before where technology enhancement are not totally evolved.
  • They experience unstable performance/unoptimize for computer before.

But today they took the different way but still one of them can lead to be a winner in the pick.

• McAfee's Artemis technology totally improved a lot but as per aggressiveness then FP rates are occurred at any chances, their flagship Siteadvisor also revamped compare from older version. However its stability on the system varies where lots of processes running and lots of accumulate resources gathered. HIPS and other components are primarily from business products concern.
  • Meanwhile Norton Security strong points are from their Sonar and Cloud reputation which they mostly rely thus reducing the possible FP rates, however FN (False negative) may increase since it can flag either mistake or not enough information. Fine tune on the stability of the system both boot up and shutdown times, and such capable to be an OEM for computer.

Therefore the overall, in such angle Norton may gather the most capable on the categories meet however McAfee can do it but sometimes they both binds of bad experience even though they improve due to the way they advertise the products to include on all OEM computers.

@jamescv7 If i might add, Norton uses the old Sygate firewall which they revamped into their smart firewall which happens to be a very good firewall. In regards to Norton using Sonar and Cloud, i can tell you Norton uses a bit more then that.
Next to their static cloud they also use a dynamic cloud and if that's not enough you got their bloodhound engine which is a very good engine when it comes to the more nasty type malware, yet all these plus points do not negate the fact that McAfee R&D has some real gems to offer, because both are fully developed AV brands and do have the infrastructure to develop new technology and in that regard both brands do well.
Its just that per pound Norton seems more mature and a little more well rounded, but bottom line is that both are Triple A Brands...

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
I was hoping that when Mcafee acquired the ValidEdge sandboxing tech a few years back it would have been developed a bit (a lot) more with a possible inclusion into a wider range of their products instead of just as an under-performing, overpriced network appliance.

Intel should really spin Mcafee back off if they aren't going to funnel cash into Mcafee's R&D department. Symantec's Research wing is much more impressive that Mcafee's currently, and I've found that the stronger the R&D, the stronger the end product.

Reactions: jamescv7
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.