Battle Norton vs McAfee

Status
Not open for further replies.

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
The question of the century! Which do you like the best?

Me? Norton.
Norton has improved a lot over the past couple of years... Symantec is going in the right direction but I wish Symantec offered Norton antivirus for free.... but I don't think that would ever happen.

I used McAfee in the past.... Viruses infected me and slowed my computer down when updating and it was a resource hog.... so I choose Norton!

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I don't think McAfee is worthy for consumer users, their products seem better for corporate environments.

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
Earth said:
I don't think McAfee is worthy for consumer users, their products seem better for corporate environments.

This is the case. McAfee is extremely popular in the corporate world. Norton products are much more refined compared to McAfee's consumer offerings and offer more features. McAfee struggles to detect Zero-day threats.

DiabloBlack

Nov 5, 2011
McAfee ain't all that in a corporate environment. I still believe it is heavy on systems and does not perform as well as Symantec Endpoint Protection. At home all of the computers use Norton Internet Security.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Mine would have to be Norton because its light weight on the system and is excellent against zero day malware. Plus last time I installed McAfee it kept giving me BSOD so got rid of it.

My choice Norton.

D

Deleted member 178

McAfee is what Norton was 4-5 years ago. A weak AV widely distributed by an efficient marketing team.

I choose Norton.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Norton made a major changes on their products thus one of the top notch. McAfee needs more improvements since it didn't well at any testing organizations or reviewed by user.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Earth said:

My local government has used McAfee since about 2000, but recently switched to FortiClient.
The main reason is false positives, the last false positive disabled military and government systems for almost a week caused offices to close, workers were sent home and money was loss.

This was the forth time this had happened recently because of McAfee's false positives. Other businesses in my area switch over to Sophos because McAfee was costing them too much profit loss. The false positives wasn't the minor kinds, is was the kind that completely disabled systems where they had to be repaired by computer techs.

McAfee has got much worse while Norton continues to improve. So there is no doubt Norton would be the better choice.

Thanks.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.