Odd thing about Free Antiviruses

RVS2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 17, 2016
I have used free applications for years now. Few observations :

Avast is the most common name around. I personally like it's interface and free utilities. But time and again, I have seen it fail an average user like me.
I installed it a few months ago, replacing 360, and it immediately found malware (full scan). I got spooked and also did a safe mode scan with hitmanpro, malwarebytes and adwcleaner. All found results. Thanks to MT for telling me about these life-savers.
I had it on the MT's recommended settings. Uninstalled it and put Panda free instead.

360 promises big and looks great. Bitdefender's name made me install it. After a few months, it stopped updating. Uninstalled it. It took a 2nd AV (avast) to show I had malware all along on my pc. Never getting it back.

Avira has been my favourite AV for it's strong test scores ( I take AV Test's word) and low impact. I installed it after Panda, just for a change. Panda is also one of my favourites but doesn't get the high scores avira gets.

Odd thing is these antiviruses always develop bugs, I repeat, always, and I am forced to uninstall. The above have been used on both my devices which have identical specs with Win7. Again, I'm an average user with basic computer knowledge.

None of them compare to Kaspersky (present choice, trial). I have decided to try F-Secure next.

toto

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 15, 2014
Well for free antivirus I like Avast a lot, but it's PUP detection ratio is not satisfying for me, that's why I intend to use malwarebytes as an on demand scanner (weekly scans is enough for me).
Though currently I am using Kaspersky Internet Security because I got a free giveaway license and it is good. I would recommend you to try Eset too, I used for quite a long time and it works great.

novocaine

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2016
when dealing with cyber scurity or especially AVs, you should keep things in mind:
first, there's no 100% protection of any AV in the world
second, there's no 100% bug free AV when it's released
third, you can take it or leave it but personally I suggest you not to refer to AV testing labs

there's no best, but there's some good AVs, just hang around on MT and you'll understand, that's why some top notch member here suggest to add multi layer protection not just hang on one AV, you should keep your AV up-to-date to fix those bugs, hopefully it's caught by the developer. but you are on the right path by visiting MT ;)

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
I don't want to seem like a self proclaimed expert but I can tell you based myself on my experience.:)

Unfortunately, there is no 100% guarantee, not even taking the best precautions, that you don't become victim of an attack, but there are some measures that you can get to minimize the chances.
In the first place, to protect yourself, it is important to recognize the risks and become an expert.
To be average user, means you have more probability of being infected and it is not important to use a paid security product, but it is essential to know well the use of any antivirus/security app: free or paid.

Here is the @Jack guide to set up Avast with the best settings, and it is also valid for the free edition.
I have used Avast hardened mode/aggressive for a long time and I don't get sort of infection.
Maybe you can lose a little of functionality, but this guarantees a high detection range.

How to setup Avast Internet Security 2016 for Maximum Protection (Guide)

Security is a process and a progress that must be applied in layers, using Avast HM/aggressive + Zemana anti-Malware free + Sandboxie + a good backup plan + common sense, you're reasonably safe without spending a cent.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
you get infected because avast was not properly configurated. If you follow the guide tim one suggested. you will not be in this situation

moreover, here we usually use at least 2 security products like an Av + voodooshield free, for example

avast or bitdefender free beta + voodooshield, or comodo firewall or kaspersky antiransomwarem can be options

qihoo 360 detecting a malware does not mean you are infected. you known 360 has a lot of false positives

Last edited:

RVS2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 17, 2016
I don't want to seem like a self proclaimed expert but I can tell you based myself on my experience.:)

Unfortunately, there is no 100% guarantee, not even taking the best precautions, that you don't become victim of an attack, but there are some measures that you can get to minimize the chances.
In the first place, to protect yourself, it is important to recognize the risks and become an expert.
To be average user, means you have more probability of being infected and it is not important to use a paid security product, but it is essential to know well the use of any antivirus/security app: free or paid.

Here is the @Jack guide to set up Avast with the best settings, and it is also valid for the free edition.
I have used Avast hardened mode/aggressive for a long time and I don't get sort of infection.
Maybe you can lose a little of functionality, but this guarantees a high detection range.

How to setup Avast Internet Security 2016 for Maximum Protection (Guide)

Security is a process and a progress that must be applied in layers, using Avast HM/aggressive + Zemana anti-Malware free + Sandboxie + a good backup plan + common sense, you're reasonably safe without spending a cent.

I followed that guide and it still wasn't good enough. In fact, I came across that guide, changed my mind about Avast being weak, installed and did the settings, and that's what I have written above.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
You should come a concrete decision on why you choose this AV.

Detection rates is not all about a thing but rather stability, reliability, and effectiveness.

Qihoo 360, Avast Free and AVG Free are such good product since they incorporate like BB, Sandbox or Hardened Mode as backup for obsolete signature and heuristic detection.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.