Showcase old Satellite C55-C5241

anoukq

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 4, 2017
I'm posting this just to round out my profile here, but if anyone has any advice on getting my USB 3.0 ports to work in Windows 10, I'm all ears! Read in several places that replacing the drivers with Windows 8 will work, but haven't done w/ any success.

anoukq

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 4, 2017
Is it the actual ports which are not working or just USB 3.0?

You could try this

USB 3.0 Ports Not Working

Yes, I've tried that, some other things too (even found a thread where someone had hacked the Windows 10 drivers to work with 3.0), but I guess it's a problem with some older Intel-based systems. Intel doesn't even have a 3.0 driver for Windows 10 (that works, at least). I've seen registry hack suggestions, etc.

At this point, the port itself doesn't work (although I can't honestly remember whether it did before or this is more recent).

Thanks for the suggestion, tho!

Reactions: Bryan Lam

anoukq

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 4, 2017

oh yeah. there's nothing applicable (that works, at least). thanks tho.

here's more detail for anyone who might be able to help:

this complaint on the MS forum kind of sums it up lol.

this post has a similar problem, but the op's bios had an option to configure the drivers, which mine doesn't.

this post gets the suggestion I've seen most often: to install Windows 7 or 8 drivers. it didn't work for the op, or for me.

a response on this post references upper and lower filter values, which I've also seen. I did some cursory work on this, but it's honestly above my pay grade so I wasn't able to get very far. this gives more info.

and here's info and download links on the modded drivers referenced in the first post above.

I'm really hesitant to try these, for obvious reasons.

Part of the problem is that there is next to no info on my motherboard, the bios (always lacking in features) hasn't been updated in well over a year, and Toshiba no longer makes/actively supports consumer products. It's a Toshiba board but I can find NOTHING on their site or various bios modding fora I've browsed, and without more info on the board, it's difficult to search Intel for anything (tho I've tried!).

So that's the state of it. :(

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.