Old Windows 10 reimaging

poirotz

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2018
Although I go only as far as C,I endorse your method completely.
You mentioned portable progs and from now on i'll try to make it portable as much as i can,thanks for the idea.
This can contribute to smaller and faster OSs.

poirotz

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2018
I just gave a glance to their site and manual. Looks an interesting idea,if its easy with resources as promised- i wouldnt want to add another program to the registry when the intent is to avoid that.

Personally i'd prefer to do everything by myself with portables,but perhaps this matter deserves to be discussed in another thread
specific about portable programs.

poirotz

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2018
Just to update about what happened:
I had no other option than a clean reinstall of Windows 10 home as my only survived image from 2017 was seemingly corrupt. The thing was rather smooth and i didnt have to exhibit any activation key (i had previously checked the initial W10Home key in the UEFI BIOS anyway).
I also updated the BIOS of this Lenovo machine successfully.
I found Windows 10 improved on 3 counts of managing ability and worsened for the remaining 7 counts in terms of owning a machine,with the Security pretext.
So I proceeded to buy a PRO license and upgraded to it in order to use gpedit&co. and to be able to get rid of
the tremendous amount of bloat including Windows Defender Security and various telemetries.
Now it has become an almost normal,almost usable OS.

Having my main pc Kaspersky-NVT-oriented I run in this notebook Comodo Firewall (no sandbox etc.)+ Comodo Cloud AV with sandbox. At this moment i also run NVT SysHardener and SpyBot AntiBeacon.
At every reboot i now get:
Windows Script Host access is disabled on this machine.Contact your administrator for details.

In SysHardener the item 'Turn Off Windows Script Host' is not flagged.
In Regedit HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT I've got: Name-Default Type-REG_SZ Data-VBScript Language
(should this latter Data be VBSFiles instead. as someone says?)
In all other classes Script Host either does not seem to exist or is ok.
I also ran sfc /scannow ,but the thing keeps coming.
I wouldnt want to enable scripting for security reasons, so,before silencing all notifications, I hope someone here please has a clue about what to do.

• Applause
Reactions: plat
F

ForgottenSeer 823865

When it happened? after or before SH being enforced?

With Win10 Pro i won't even need all the Comodo crap.

poirotz

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2018
It happened after.
Now,coming to think of it,perhaps I could have reset everything in SH or even uninstalled it in order to understand.
Another culprit could have been the removal of Windows Defender Security Antivirus via gpedit, but I did this after the showing up of the Script warning.
I guess I can get along without scripting altogether, so I am prepared to cut off notifications instead-I got the idea that enabling it in Registry is dangerous.
What do you think?

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

1- WD shouldn't be disabled unless you know what you are doing. If you use a 3rd party AV, it should disabled WD by itself.

2- SH shouldn't be used without testing first. Unlike other softs, it doesn't tell what went wrong or what is broken by its settings.
If you followed my advices in my previous post about backup steps, you should restore a backup prior the use of SH, if not try to undo all you have done with it.

3- You shouldn't disable WSH unless you know that every programs you use doesn't require it.

Reactions: harlan4096

poirotz

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2018
I've read all your suggestions and will think about it,in the meantime,while you were writing down
I have reset to default all flagged items in SysHardener, rebooted ,uninstalled the prog,rebooted and now the
previous notice is no more,but it has been changed into:
Windows Script Host
'Can not find script file
"C:\Users\artur\AppData\Local\Temp\ComodoWebStart.vbs"

poirotz

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2018
I disabled in Start (i will later delete) the ComodoWebstart item which is related to Comodo Dragon-which I dont run-and I have no more notifications to bother me!

L

Local Host

An ex-MS employee shared my point of view (can find the thread somewhere here).
Clean installs have almost zero issues (if you were smart enough to keep your drivers somewhere in case of).
Upgrades? enormous amount of users posting having issues afterwards.

- clean install of Windows 10 itself around 15-30mn vs Win Update 1-2hours.
- clean install has no leftovers, no corrupted registry entries/drivers/files, no windows.old, etc...
- most of my apps aren't installed, they are portable, so not much hassle and waste of time.

Not saying right after a clean install i can make a clean system image 100% free of malware, cant say the same for an upgrade.

Clean install is my favorite method, so my computer habits are oriented to maximize clean installing.
I can trust my system because i know it is always clean, not saying i restore my 100% clean system image almost every 2-3 days, took 10mn.
This is reason i don't care much anymore of security software, and since i use Enterprise version (with its boatload of security features) , it is even more true.

tried once, it failed miserably...
I agree, I have installed Windows 10 enough times, to know the majorly of issues are caused by upgrades (the older the build you upgrade from, the worse).

While a clean install mitigates the majorly of bugs and issues encountered.

As you said and well, Microsoft Engineers themselves recommend a Clean Install, already had this discussion myself multiple times, at the local Microsoft headquarters.

I was already making a clean install on yearly bases to the March builds, while only upgrading the October releases (pretty similar to what Microsoft is doing now to everyone).

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

I disabled in Start (i will later delete) the ComodoWebstart item which is related to Comodo Dragon-which I dont run-and I have no more notifications to bother me!
See, exactly what i told you earlier, ComodoCrap needed WSH and since you blocked it, generated the error.
People, stay away form Comodo, and i'm not a hater to say that, i was a big fan and wrote lot of articles/guides here about it...Its golden age is no more.

poirotz

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2018
Regarding Windows Defender ,I take it the antivirus-antispyware part still runs in the background when you just disable it via a third party AV.
Why then having two big things going around (albeit the WD does it in an almost unobtrusive,sneaky way)?
Better to remove it altogether, if one relies on another AV or Security program, I guess.

I did not have any problem by removing it with gpedit, by means of which it could be reactivated with a few clicks. But this way I do not have anything useless in the background.

Of course,Umbra,I can go back by means of images to previous situations.
Although luckily it seems all is ok now with the unistall of SysHardener.....which I will install again perhaps tomorrow with just default rules in place.

I have always read your posts with great interest,here and elsewhere,during the past years- since the first editions of Comodo came out i remember- but about the Comodo 'crap' I beg to differ :
I used -as firewalls- Outpost,Kerio,OnlineArmor,Sygate etc.etc. now all of them sort of abandoned and I find
Comodo firewall the most efficient and usable now.
With it I can make rules to protect one pc in my LAN from other pcs or devices which other firewalls do not allow to do (via subnets or MAC).
Perhaps you can do this with the Advanced Windows Firewall as well, but I declare myself completely unable to begin a study about its intricacies.
So,in my opinion,I had no other choice.
I coupled the firewall with Comodo Cloud AV (dont care if it is not rated the best-I rely more on virtualisation and imaging) because it's the same brand and is light and efficient.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Comodo firewall the most efficient and usable now.
i rather use ESET one, more polished and with real security features/gadgets.

but I declare myself completely unable to begin a study about its intricacies.
yeah, MS is very good at making their security features totally obscure and complicated to use.

I coupled the firewall with Comodo Cloud AV (dont care if it is not rated the best-I rely more on virtualisation and imaging) because it's the same brand and is light and efficient.
i ditched comodo and 3rd party AVs a long time ago but why not just CIS instaed of CFW + CCAV? does CCAV has something CIS doesn't?

poirotz

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2018
Because CCAV is lighter and uses less resources than the 'normal' one being it a Cloud.
My reasoning goes alongside your idea of 'portable': anything to make it lean and quicker.
True that I dont like Clouds too much, especially for passwords, but while I am prepared for war about privacy with MS,which is forcing its rules on you, just for once I decided to experience a pure Cloud system of a third party,chosen by me anyway,and knowing they will use some info.
Initially I had installed my first choice-as AV-which was Kaspersky Cloud Free,but I was unable to complete the Registration with them and decided to try CCAV,also reasoning better to have two different systems,as I
run KIS in my main pc.
For the time being I like the GUI and the quick reactions,time will tell.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

With MS (and other giants) , if you use their services/products, don't mind privacy too much, you can't really fight it anyway, just reduce what you can (which is more a exercise of style than a real battle) and enjoy your system.

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.