Advice Request One time scanners to make sure everything is clean

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
No torrenting or clicking on .exe files I don't know for me. I tried to explain that to the, now deceased, owner of the laptop and it looks like they took my advice because the system seems clean.

You guessed correctly and while I'm going to install Kaspersky free as a replacement, I don't think I can do away with Comodo just yet, it's heavy yes, but its so versatile and Cruelsisters settings have not failed me yet (I think she's more of a legend than the software itself is at this point because it sucks out of the box).
Off topic but I'm trying to make a perfect VPN killswitch with it between me, my server and my customers. Its not easy because Im bad with FW rules but I think I can get there with some help.
What was missing in your setup is something to inspect the traffic for signs of Botnet activity. Whilst it is impossible such traffic to be generated on a clean machine, it's a necessary defence that will be provided by Kaspersky when you install it. For the firewall rules, I believe I saw a thread. Did anyone help there?

MrMr

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 20, 2023
What was missing in your setup is something to inspect the traffic for signs of Botnet activity. Whilst it is impossible such traffic to be generated on a clean machine, it's a necessary defence that will be provided by Kaspersky when you install it.
Kaspersky will be my first install, it always was a great security product and I dot not know that about the botnet protection!
For the firewall rules, I believe I saw a thread. Did anyone help there?
Unfortunately not, I tried tagging CS and another CFW user but firewall rules are always a pain in the a$$ so I don't blame them for not responding, especially svchost is known to cause leaks on windows :(

• Sad
Reactions: kylprq and Trident

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Kaspersky will be my first install, it always was a great security product and I dot not know that about the botnet protection!
Botnet protection goes a step further, it scans the traffic allowed by the firewall for signs that a bot may be connecting to a C&C. This may be via blacklist, IP/domain reputation, protocol inspection and other means.

Yeah, suggesting firewall rules is also huge responsibility 😀
It’s quite easy to step on a mine there.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.