Online Armor need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malware Security

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Apr 29, 2013
I was wondering if i really need the paid version of online armor because since eset doesn't have great hips or never seen the firewall do things. I was going to start buying the Eset Antivirus for now on and not the smart security and use some other brand firewall such as online armor.

All i really need is a firewall that has great blocking since eset doesn't seem to do its job in hips and firewall. So can i get away with a free version or do i need to get the paid version?

By the way, ive tested firewalls in my written review, so i dont need to know which is the best firewall since i already know which one.

Thanks for helping!

bob974

Level 4
Verified
Feb 5, 2013
Malware Security said:
I was wondering if i really need the paid version of online armor because since eset doesn't have great hips or never seen the firewall do things. I was going to start buying the Eset Antivirus for now on and not the smart security and use some other brand firewall such as online armor.

All i really need is a firewall that has great blocking since eset doesn't seem to do its job in hips and firewall. So can i get away with a free version or do i need to get the paid version?

By the way, ive tested firewalls in my written review, so i dont need to know which is the best firewall since i already know which one.

Thanks for helping!

Try the paid version , for 30 days ... Features and protection are better in the paid version...

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
Malware Security said:

Thanks for helping!

Just because ESET firewall is not blocking things does not mean it is a faulty product.
I think i for one would be thankful that my security program is silent.
What do you expect to be blocked etc.

Malware Security

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Apr 29, 2013
bob974 said:
Try the paid version , for 30 days ... Features and protection are better in the paid version...

I tried the paid version for couple days, i really didn't notice any difference on protection part. when i had the free version, i disabled eset and let about 15 files go through and when i executed them, it blocked about 13 files while the other 2 asked me to investigate, which i clicked allow because i wanted to see if it would screw up vmware but it didn't. malwarebytes and hitman pro found nothing.

I was just wondering like how is it better then the paid version even though the free version did amazing. i even ran it through comodo leak test and it got a 320/340, thats when im clicking "block" even though its telling me to investigate, but when i did another comodo leak test but this time clicking "allow" on some investigation pop ups, it still got a decent 280/340, which was still better then the other firewalls.

Sorry about this essay!lol

Malware Security

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Apr 29, 2013
Amiga500 said:
Just because ESET firewall is not blocking things does not mean it is a faulty product.
I think i for one would be thankful that my security program is silent.
What do you expect to be blocked etc.

Im not saying eset sux because ive been supporting it for awhile and i will always support them no matter what. Its just there hips isn't good and when it miss's files and i execute them, eset never catchs it when i execute them. Thats why im thinking to buy or get free online armor. i rain a comodo leak test on eset firewall and it got a 200/340. so thats why im just getting the regular antivirus version and buy or getting a free online armor.

ESET FOR LIFE!lol

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I understand you're looking for a third-party firewall for piece of mind, and since you'll be running unknown/foreign software on your PC? Right or wrong? :s

Malware Security

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Apr 29, 2013
Earth said:
I understand you're looking for a third-party firewall for piece of mind, and since you'll be running unknown/foreign software on your PC? Right or wrong? :s

I'm sorry i don't think i understand, i am running eset thats foreign and emsisoft thats foreign, is that what your saying?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Not quite, I'm trying to understand why you need a third-party Firewall? From my understanding you're going to be executing unknown or potentially malicious software on your PC, and you want a Firewall with Proactive security to stop or prevent this?

OA Paid does have extra benefits, but why pay for something when you can get better protection for free with Comodo Firewall. And since it will sandbox all the unknown crap you throw at it, unless it's whitelisted some adware, you should be safe.

Malware Security

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Apr 29, 2013
Earth said:
Not quite, I'm trying to understand why you need a third-party Firewall? From my understanding you're going to be executing unknown or potentially malicious software on your PC, and you want a Firewall with Proactive security to stop or prevent this?

OA Paid does have extra benefits, but why pay for something when you can get better protection for free with Comodo Firewall. And since it will sandbox all the unknown crap you throw at it, unless it's whitelisted some adware, you should be safe.

Thank you for helping me!

The thing is i always test my own antivirus in vmware to see the staus of it, and lets say for instance, i get a pack of malware of 200 files and eset detects 190, great detection, but when i execute the 10 files, eset is never going to detect it. Thats why i have online armor which will most likely block the last 10 files that eset did not detect. Until eset adds rules and fix there hips and stuff like that, then i don't need online armor, but it looks like for now im going to need it, probebly even in version 7.

Ive tried comodo, its good and lighter then online armor, but i did a comodo leak test and it got a 190/340 and i get a lot of pop ups.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
If you always only download trusted programs from safe sources and utilize UAC then you simply don't need a third-party firewall. Windows Firewall will block all in-bound connections by default unless you unblock selected programs.

The only benefit from Online Armor Pro is added HIPS features, the network control is the same as the free version.

So do you actually need these extra HIPS features?

HIPS only protects you from you. If there isn't anything bad on your system then HIPS will not benefit you. If there is something bad on your system then you need to pay better attention your online habits and learn how to utilize UAC.

Thanks. :D

kjdemuth

Level 9
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
Windows firewall is actually set default to block in-bound only. You can configure it to block out-bound as well. HIPS is actually very useful when your AV isn't detecting something, like a zero day malware or a DLL injection exploit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.