Opera Browser: New Reborn update with Telegram and GPU accelerated video

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Thread author
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
We couldn’t wait any longer for another developer update for the Reborn project. Last week, we added support for WhatsApp and Messenger. Today we are adding another communicator to the sidebar – Telegram. In addition to this, the latest update to the Opera Developer 45 brings some visible UI changes, faster video on Windows, and further tuning and fixes.

It’s Telegram’s time

Telegram is a popular messaging app with focus on security and privacy. It allows you to send messages, photos, videos, and files of any type for up to 5,000 recipients. Now, you will find it in the new Reborn sidebar along with the already available Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp.

Similarly to our current communicators, you can simply log in to the service and start chatting.

Now with Telegram, the Reborn project has three communicators available by default in the sidebar. Do you think it’s too many? What do you think about having the most popular communicator visible by default, and others available as an option? Tell us your thoughts in the comment section.

Narrow sidebar for Mac

The new sidebar in the Mac version of Opera Developer can be now as narrow as on Windows. To adjust it, go to Settings -> Browser -> Sidebar -> “Enable Narrow Sidebar”, or use the sidebar context menu.

UI improvements for Windows 7

Based on your requests, we have also brought for you a more familiar platform feeling on Window 7. The latest version of Opera Developer for Windows 7 uses its system button to close, maximize, and minimize a window, as well as adjust transparent borders to fit to the platform.

Faster video on Windows

Most graphics processing units (GPUs) can decode videos highly efficiently. With this release, we will send even more videos to the GPU for decoding on Windows. This will allow for significantly higher framerates, higher resolutions, and lower battery usage for these videos.

Since we (sadly) do not have access to all possible graphics cards and drivers, we are keen to hear about your experiences here. So try watching HTML5 videos and listen to an audio file, and if something is broken, please let us know in a comment or bug report. You can disable and enable the new code through the #media-windows-mf-demuxer flag in opera:flags.

Big Buck Bunny (from HTTP links) is always a good test.

Technical mumbo jumbo

A web page can play native videos through two different APIs: a streaming API (MSE) and by using video and source tags directly. This release makes the video and source tag API hardware-accelerated when using an H.264 (mp4) video on Windows, just as the streaming API has done for a long time.

If this works well, we want to do the same for Mac and Linux.

Other info

• Chromium is updated to version 58.0.3018.3
  • The changelog

Thanks for all the comments. Keep them coming!

Installation links:

Source: New Reborn update with Telegram and GPU accelerated video - Opera Desktop

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Sr. Normal 2.0

In my system, it runs slowly than Opera 43.

I have not looked at the resources it is consuming, I have simply observed its performance.

It had a crash when I opened 7 tabs simultaneously.

I will continue, at the moment, with version 43 that works perfectly

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
@RejZoR You can forget about your RSS, Opera is becoming an all-you-can-eat Messenger buffet.

Is it lighter than firefox?
And
Opera or Vavaldi?
Lighter, what's that supposed to mean; less storage, RAM usage, stress on CPU/GPU?

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
I have to test video acceleration on my HP X2 hybrid netbook and crappy old AMD E-450 laptop. These two struggle the most with HD video on Youtube in Firefox. HW video acceleration is total garbage there for some reason. So, it'll be a good test...

Tinm

Level 3
Verified
Oct 23, 2013
Opera can only survive if they provide this kind of unique features.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Trying out the portable version, what should I set WebRTC as? Visible with Show Advanced Settings under Privacy and Security. Thanks.

upload_2017-3-14_18-6-22.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.