Advice Request Optical manipulation

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

I feel safer when I notice the antivirus running on the system

• Yes

Votes: 25 78.1%
  • No

Votes: 7 21.9%

• Total voters

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
At school we are currently learning sth. about the subject media. You can probably imagine me laughing all the time. The teachers shows us a documentation about cookies etc. Of course, they are presented there in an over-dramatized way. Later we talk about that we should use a virus scanner. Kaspersky, of course.
The teacher says he thinks it's great that Kaspersky sets a green frame around the browser when he visits a banking page. (Sandbox)
6b9b4f6df54bed65e5507864e5e001de660a97b9_large.jpg
An antivirus solution should also cost something, he thinks. Cheap can only be bad.
In summary, it can be said that inexperienced people love the feeling of security, even if it is sometimes faked. This is optical manipulation, isn't it?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Of course, they are presented there in an over-dramatized way.
There's never too much of over-dramatization.
Dancing Cookie Robots [x]
giphy.gif

Not any optical ..whatever you call it. Just makes identification easier to understand.

Example:
Similar to how using a web browser's incognito mode, the window will appear with a darker theme. Users are aware after closing the browser, nothing is saved (cookies, logins etc). So the colored borders indicate that the window frame or application has been isolated, and that changes will be discarded.

Third-party Free Antivirus software usually have In-app promotional Ads or notifications. It's annoyance you generally do not see in Paid-for Antivirus / Security Suites, except when your license is to expire.

As to the Poll, I feel safer knowing:
  1. It's my device (laptop, tablet or phone)
  2. Software is updated (includes running a supported OS)
  3. Running programs I have installed

IMO

P

plat1098

Ah, great subject--my standalones Sandboxie and HitmanPro.Alert likewise show borders: yellow and green respectively and I relied on this heavily to reassure me security is in effect. If there are hints about the AV suggesting untrustworthiness, then I would consider it "optical manipulation." But these are trusted, so these indicators are important, necessary and reassuring.

Can you blame anyone for feeling like a free product isn't as secure? "You get what you pay for." I think it's more a mindset and depends on what you select and how you use it. .

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
At school we are currently learning sth. about the subject media. You can probably imagine me laughing all the time. The teachers shows us a documentation about cookies etc. Of course, they are presented there in an over-dramatized way. Later we talk about that we should use a virus scanner. Kaspersky, of course.
The teacher says he thinks it's great that Kaspersky sets a green frame around the browser when he visits a banking page. (Sandbox)
6b9b4f6df54bed65e5507864e5e001de660a97b9_large.jpg
An antivirus solution should also cost something, he thinks. Cheap can only be bad.
In summary, it can be said that inexperienced people love the feeling of security, even if it is sometimes faked. This is optical manipulation, isn't it?
That is normal for almost all schools, and sadly, no one discovered the better way to do it in public schools.:(
The old (and excellent) teaching methods from Ancient Greece are not useful for the average people.
So nowadays, the students get a very special and polished piece of knowledge, that is supposed to be useful for everybody. So, everybody "knows" from school and TV, that the only good cosmological theory is The Big Bang Theory (that is not true), and that Darwin Evolution Theory explains all facts about species adaptation and formation (also not true, and I am not a creationist).
Someone interested in computer matters will soon see that he/she get in the school a "cake of knowledge", and that the computer world is more complicated in the wild.(y)

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
As to the Poll, I feel safer knowing:
  1. It's my device (laptop, tablet or phone)
  2. Software is updated (includes running a supported OS)
  3. Running programs I have installed

Ditto

I use free and they are not bad. I install also freeware AV solutions to my customers and they are not complaining.

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
I do not usually use free AV, I find it limited, in addition to its annoying advertisements, although I know there are some good ones out there, but my preference has always been for a paid and robust product, and G Data is what gives me peace of mind for years , finally, answering the question, yes, I feel safer knowing the AV that is in my machine (y)

Last edited:

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Seems normal to me to want to monitor what's happening. In that way I like to know the a-v/security is there. I don't mind reminders to scan and all that.

Thinking about it today, I realized maybe why I like this. On a network, the network manager is responsible for security. He wants information to know when/if something is running away on a system. So I guess why should it be different for someone at home who has to be the IT guy for themselves with their computer...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.