Advice Request Password protected settings

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Scirious

Level 2
Thread author
Feb 22, 2022
Hi there!

Is there a way to password protect the settings from being changed and the protection from being disabled?

Thanks a lot,

- Scirious

Reactions: upnorth

Scirious

Level 2
Thread author
Feb 22, 2022
Well, I mean, if I install F-Secure in my daughters laptop and knowing she has administrators right for her account, how can I prevent her from changing F-Secure's settings ou disabling the protection. I mean, Comodo, Kaspersky, ESET and others have the ability to add a password that is requested every time I try to access the settings interface or if I try to disable the protection. How can the same be acomplished with F-Secure?

Upvote 0

Pixelman

Level 4
Well-known
Jun 7, 2022
Well, I mean, if I install F-Secure in my daughters laptop and knowing she has administrators right for her account, how can I prevent her from changing F-Secure's settings ou disabling the protection. I mean, Comodo, Kaspersky, ESET and others have the ability to add a password that is requested every time I try to access the settings interface or if I try to disable the protection. How can the same be acomplished with F-Secure?
I don't use F-Secure so I don't know. Maybe @Shadowra can help. She recently did a F-Secure test video.

Upvote 0

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Sorry! I didn't understand what you meant to say.
Although it is written for an older version, there is not much difference in concept.:)

Upvote 0

Scirious

Level 2
Thread author
Feb 22, 2022
Oh, I see! However, it seems to not be capable of preventing her from disabling the protection, nor someone else I let use my computer.

Reactions: show-Zi
Upvote 0

Scirious

Level 2
Thread author
Feb 22, 2022
If that's your goal, why do you allow her or anyone else with administration access?
I don't live with her, so she needs to manage her own computer in case she needs to do something while I can't help. Also, I normally don't let people use my computer, but there may be some cases where my girlfriend has to access my computer and she will do it from my account.

Upvote 0

Mystic

Level 4
Verified
Aug 25, 2022
I believe even if you install F-Secure on your daughter's device as "child", you still will not be able to protect settings using a password. You can either let her use a local non-admin account, but this would be very inconvenient as she would have to reach you everytime she needs admin privillages, or you should go for another security suite that allow you to password protect the settings.

Here is a list of security suites that allow password protection of their settings:

1- AVG & Avast
2- Kaspersky
3- Malwarebytes
4- GData
5- Eset

Those are the prdouct I can recall for now.

Upvote 0

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
The problem with password protected settings is that with a local administration account, it's dead easy to boot in SafeMode edit a little reg entry from 1 to 0, reboot the machine and it's Game Over. I know that's the case with at least 1 of those extra mentioned AVs in this thread. That's one reason why I prefer SUA ( standard user account ).

Upvote 0

Mystic

Level 4
Verified
Aug 25, 2022
The problem with password protected settings is that with a local administration account, it's dead easy to boot in SafeMode edit a little reg entry from 1 to 0, reboot the machine and it's Game Over. I know that's the case with at least 1 of those extra mentioned AVs in this thread. That's one reason why I prefer SUA ( standard user account ).
You're right, but most ordinary users do not posses the know-how to boot into safe mode and manipulate the registry. Moreover, they won't even bother to open the antivirus.

I'm using AVG on all of my family devices and I enabled password protection to protect the settings. This is great especially if AVG stops an infection and users want to disable protection.

Reactions: show-Zi
Upvote 0

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
most ordinary users do not posses the know-how to boot into safe mode and manipulate the registry. Moreover, they won't even bother to open the antivirus.
Your missing the point the OP asking about:
how can I prevent her from changing F-Secure's settings ou disabling the protection.
You can not change F-Secures settings without open the Antivirus UI ( user interface ), and you can not disable it's protection elsewhere because of a self-protection feature called " Tamper Protection ". Unless one uninstall the whole AV from the admin account, but that is normally obvious in a administration account. Tamper Protection or any other of SAFE settings requires access inside the UI and without a administration account, one is forced to use a password if the admin account actually is password protected to begin with.

This screenshots is from a administration account and one has to click " Edit settings ".

2022-09-07_13-41-07.jpg

2022-09-07_19-21-52.jpg
Also, it takes around 30 seconds to find that bypass ( along with how to start into safe mode ) I mentioned with a simple Google search and kids nowadays are silly fast with Google.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.