Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Updated daily ;)
That may helps to improve this software, although this amount of bug fixes should be better fixed in beta-versions before published as stable. However, I have no major bugs so far, I will keep using the portable version of Sumatra PDF.

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
After a very long time, SumatraPDF looks like again on active development:

Version history​

3.5 pre-release

SumatraPDF pre-release builds are for testing. Please do not redistribute. They might have bugs not present in official releases.

Latest SumatraPDF pre-release build version 15391, built on 2023-03-29, commit 987bb6a8c58bd39fe3e54edc53fecff1db22fc69

64-bit version:
installer:SumatraPDF-prerel-64-install.exe
portable version:SumatraPDF-prerel-64.exe

M4RT1NE2

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 19, 2022
After a very long time, SumatraPDF looks like again on active development:

All lovely and simple, low system requirements etc. But when I used it it had a problem opening files with a password on. I had various documents from my bank in PDF form with a password and Sumatra supposedly nice because lightweight couldn't manage to open.

I had to install Adobe Acrobat Reader which is thick compared to Sumatra PDF - but opens all PDFs

Reactions: silversurfer

M4RT1NE2

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 19, 2022
Is it possible they were scripted or with links, etc? Sumatra avoids adding features, which would add vulnerabilities. I have PDFs from bank and work and they open, also tested with this.

I don't know. In my case, it's like this.
I deal with something at my bank. I get a PDF file in the mail. And a text message to my phone the password to extract.
When I had the Sumatra PDF then after entering the password the document opened but there was nothing inside.
I installed Acrobat Reader and after doing so I got a "paperclip" on the left hand side to access another PDF document that I was interested in. Maybe it's the encryption ?

Password Protect PDF - Encrypt your PDF online safely

You are not afraid to use such tools when opening documents with private content ?

It is a shame that Sumatra PDF cannot do this.
This is what I miss about it :(

Last edited:
Reactions: simmerskool

M4RT1NE2

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 19, 2022
Do you know another application than Adobe Acrobat Reader to read such files ? (encrypted) so that it is free and does not take up 700 MB on the disk. For me it is too much to read PDF files but for today it works for me.
Using the online version not acceptable

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Do you know another application than Adobe Acrobat Reader to read such files ? (encrypted) so that it is free and does not take up 700 MB on the disk. For me it is too much to read PDF files but for today it works for me.
Using the online version not acceptable

We are natively embedding the Adobe Acrobat PDF engine into the Microsoft Edge built-in PDF reader, with a release scheduled in March 2023.

For Chrome, and other browsers:

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Sumatra PDF 3.5​

Version history

3.5 (2023-10-23)​

• Arm 64-bit builds
  • dark mode (menu Settings / Theme or Ctrl + K command Next theme) you can use i (invert colors) to match the background / text color of rendered PDF document. Due to technical limitations, it doesn’t work well with images
  • i (invert colors) is remembered in settings
  • CmdEditAnnotation select annotation under cursor and open annotation edit window
  • rename CmdShowCursorPosition => CmdToggleCursorPosition
  • add Annotations [ FreeTextColor, FreeTextSize, FreeTextBorderWidth ] settings
  • ability to move annotations. Ctrl + click to select annotation and them move via drag & drop
  • add CmdCommandPaletteOnlyTabs command with Alt + K shortcut
  • exit full screen / presentation modes via double click with left mouse button
  • ability to drag out a tab to open it in new window
  • support opening .avif images (including inside .cbz/,cbr files)
  • respect image orientation exif metadata in .jpeg and .png images
  • support Adobe Reader syntax for opening files /A "page=<pageno>#nameddest=<dest>search=<string>
  • add Next Tab / Prev Tab commands with Ctrl + PageUp / Ctrl + PageDown shortcuts
  • keep Home tab open; add NoHomeTab advanced option to d`isable that
  • add context menu to tabs
  • bugfix: handle files we can’t open in next file in folder / prev file in folder commands
  • command palette: when search starts with >, only show commands, not files (like in Visual Studio Code)
  • add reopen last closed command (Ctrl + Shift + T, like in web browsers)
  • add clear history command
  • can send commands via DDE
  • added CmdOpenWithExplorer, CmdOpenWithDirectoryOpus, CmdOpenWithTotalCommander, CmdOpenWithDoubleCommander commands
  • enable CmdCloseOtherTabs, CmdCloseTabsToTheRight commands from command palette
  • recognize PgUp / PgDown and a few more in keyboard shortcuts
  • add -disable-auto-rotation cmd-line print option
Source: Version history - Sumatra PDF

Download: Sumatra PDF reader download page

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
F

ForgottenSeer 97327

I used Sumatra in stead of Adobe in the past, but why would you need a PDF reader nowadays when browsers (with strong sandboxing and site permission restrictions) can also read PDFs?

In Windows11 Microsoft forces Edge upon people. Edge has the strongest sandbox (AppContainer) and security (SuperDupermode). I don't use Edge as the browser on my wife's laptop, but use it with all site permissions on deny as PDF reader (and you can harden Edge with registry tweaks using GPO settings, eg enable PDFSecureMode).

Alternative (to Adobe) PDF readers are (on Windows) a blast from the past IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
I used Sumatra in stead of Adobe in the past, but why would you need a PDF reader nowadays when browsers (with strong sandboxing and site permission restrictions) can also read PDFs?

In Windows11 Microsoft forces Edge upon people. Edge has the strongest sandbox (AppContainer) and security (SuperDupermode). I don't use Edge as the browser on my wife's laptop, but use it with all site permissions on deny as PDF reader (and you can harden Edge with registry tweaks using GPO settings, eg enable PDFSecureMode).

Alternative (to Adobe) PDF readers are (on Windows) a blast from the past IMO.
1st because not everyone does use Edge as default browser. 2nd average users doesn't harden their browsers to be stronger protected, specially for Edge via GPO.
3rd Adobe Acrobat Reader has a very large files size and some users does prefer a more lightweight software even as portable version like Sumatra PDF Reader.

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

1st because not everyone does use Edge as default browser. 2nd average users doesn't harden their browsers to be stronger protected, specially for Edge via GPO.
3rd Adobe Acrobat Reader has a very large files size and some users does prefer a more lightweight software even as portable version like Sumatra PDF Reader.
Chrome with its sandbox, probably is also a safer alternative to Sumatra. Edge was just an example.

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Chrome with its sandbox, probably is also a safer alternative to Sumatra. Edge was just an example.
And again not everyone does use Chrome or other Chromium-based browser ;) Get that point as fact or be quiet and move on to other forum threads...

In general, Hardening your software or lockdown OS as much as possible doesn't help average users, all depends if people can handle or later need to ask for help ;)

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

And again not everyone does use Chrome or other Chromium-based browser ;) Get that point as fact (1) or be quiet and move on to other forum (2)
1. Well in my first post (Edge) I said that I don't use Edge as a browser anymore, so for people not using Edge as a browser it is a great PDF reader (as said with super duper security and easy options to make it safer by limiting all site permissions).

2. Mhh so people not agreeing with you have to shut up and leave the forum?

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Where I wrote that you should leave the forum? I rather wrote that you should "move on to other forum threads..." what was/is meant here on MT.

Of course, You and everyone else can discussing whatever anyone would like, but better starting a new forum thread as Discussion Thread.
This thread is mainly for users of Sumatra PDF Reader, information of new updates and to talk about bugs, improvements or missed features.

IMO makes no sense to comment when you don't use it anymore for some reason. Nothing about agree or disagree, no interpretation in the wrong direction ;)

My original comment:
me.png

Your misinterpretation in fake-quotes:
max.png

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.