Advice Request Peer-to-peer VPN, what are your thoughts about this type of VPN?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stopspying

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
PenguinProxy Blog

I have not used PenguinProxyVPN but I am interested in other peoples' views on using a P2P VPN. In brief it seems that it works on the principle of you being expected to contribute some of your bandwidth towards helping obscure other users real IP addresses. This means that your real IP address may be discovered if someone, or organisation, really puts their minds and resources to tracking it down.

A post from gHacks about PenguinProxyVPN - A look at community-powered VPN Penguin Proxy - gHacks Tech News

Has anybody here used this VPN?

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
My opinion is that it could be dangerous as the user won't know who and for what purpose his IP address is being used by some other person. If some one uses it for some illegal activity then it could be disastrous. Even if the user ultimately proves his innocence he still will have to face a lot of harassment in the mean time.

Reactions: Stopspying

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Not sure on how safe it is for people to be giving bandwidth for others to use. Good idea which I can see being used for malicious circumstances.

~LDogg

Reactions: Stopspying
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.