Petition Calls for Investigation on Microsoft’s Forced Windows 10 Upgrades

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Microsoft’s aggressive Windows 10 upgrade strategy might be paying off because more users are switching to the new OS, but there are also customers who are very angry with this approach and now are turning against the company.

A petition on change.org calls for the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) to start an investigation on Microsoft because it forces users to move to Windows 10 and sometimes upgrades their computers without them giving their consent.

“Microsoft's practices with their newest operating system, named Windows 10, has been ignorantly unethical at best and malicious at worst,” the petition reads.

At this point, about 600 people have signed the petition which has a goal of 1,000, and this is very likely to be reached given the fact that it’s quickly spreading across the web on social media. Microsoft hasn’t yet commented on this petition and the chances are that the company will ignore it completely.

“No apology from Microsoft”
But it’s this attitude the one that’s frustrating for some users, as many have complained that Microsoft reacted in no way to the claims that it’s too aggressive with Windows 10 upgrades.

“Despite outcries in forums, articles, and every other venue Microsoft has not issued an apology, a retraction, or mentioned in any way that they are going to cease these practices. The only mention of them ceasing any of it is that the upgrade to Windows 10 will no longer be free after this coming July,” the petition continues.

Read more: Petition Calls for Investigation on Microsoft’s Forced Windows 10 Upgrades

D

Deleted member 178

Don't like MS behavior, don't use Windows. simple as that. it is not like you can't avoid it or you bound to it by law.

If i go to a place that smash my head to go to their new area s which i don't like, i won't go anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Great share Jack,
You have a point Umbra, but remember there are old and young alike that are intimidated just having to make a choice weather or not to upgrade when that windows pop's up.
MS wording is designed to encourage the upgrade, which is fine for us we know what to do and how to do it. Many don't know how to shut the upgrade and messages off.
They all need to register here :)

D

Deleted member 178

Upgrades are mostly always beneficial (except Win ME ^^) , and i always made them since Win98 when they were released. If i had to listen the complainers/haters, i would be stuck on Win98 until today.
The problem is in computing, people are afraid of changes, they believe they won't be able to do what they used to do , the same way they do. Many prefer lazily stay in the past instead of taking time to adapt.
Note that I don't mention old OS lovers/companies/low-spec machine owners, they are special cases.
In real life, if their car's vendor force them to exchange for free their old car containing flaws for the brand new improved model, most of them will accept it gladly , some will even rush to be the first to get it. (look those Iphone rushers)
Of course people should still have the choice to do the upgrade or not.

If i can afford it, i always upgrade everything i have when available, but everybody is different.

Andytay70

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2015
Windows Vista was the same. MS bought out Windows 7 as a replacement because of all the bugs Vista had. If i remember rightly MS recommended that people on Vista upgrade to windows 7! I did and never looked back.
I upgraded to windows 10 a couple of months back yeah i was worried about all the hype of spying and telemetry but once installed i got to like it.
There are numerous tools out there that disables telemetry.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Such petition is going to be a lost battle.

They are only doing this because it's MS and W10.

Don't recall in recent years people going for this approach on other solutions and software etc.

On a side note, July is around the corner, no more free upgrade, so I fail to see where will everyone who is still on W7/8.1 be forced upgraded since it ain't a free conversion anymore.

For those who did upgrade before and reverted, there's always ways around it. Those who remained in such systems hardly complain. Majority is the bandwagon who despise W10. No offense to anyone, but if the hat fits, so be it.

juhful

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
Upgrades are mostly always beneficial (except Win ME ^^) , and i always made them since Win98 when they were released. If i had to listen the complainers/haters, i would be stuck on Win98 until today.
The problem is in computing, people are afraid of changes, they believe they won't be able to do what they used to do , the same way they do. Many prefer lazily stay in the past instead of taking time to adapt.
Note that I don't mention old OS lovers/companies/low-spec machine owners, they are special cases.
In real life, if their car's vendor force them to exchange for free their old car containing flaws for the brand new improved model, most of them will accept it gladly , some will even rush to be the first to get it. (look those Iphone rushers)
Of course people should still have the choice to do the upgrade or not.

If i can afford it, i always upgrade everything i have when available, but everybody is different.
Excellent post. The thing I find funny is that people don't want to change to a new OS, but they will change security software like they change their underwear:confused:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Just a added note.
The EEF won't monkey with MS or Bill anyway.
They can make recommendations, but Bill is so connected that any recommendations will fall on deaf ears.
It's a joke really, just pomp and posturing.
PeAcE

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Here is the point.

Users are whining and complaining about the force of Windows 10 Upgrade, why not just follow the steps provided by research?

Is it ain't so hard to use the search engine by seconds?

Secondly, 1000 petitions as a goal is definitely easy because they ignore the solutions.

With just few weeks way from the deadline, that will only be vanished/dismissed sooner.

Solarlynx

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 30, 2012
I have W7 now and not in a hurry for W10 as I ain't sure some my progs will work there. And I don't want to install all my staff again. Though when I buy new PC and it will be most probably with W10 I won't be upset.

As for petition I think MS has good lawyers to think over the consequences of that "forced" upgrade beforehand.

I think this petition will go the "Death Star" trajectory.

Last edited:

Entreri

Level 7
Verified
May 25, 2015
Really terrible behavior on part of M$. Forced feeding will not work because there are more viable alternatives to their OS now.

Since various updates, their spying strategies have advanced. For example, their keylogger has been updated, have to do even more to disable it now, plus apps like Twitter, Candy Crush seems to install whatever I do. At this rate, I will need to dump it and use Linux or go buy a Mac.

Andytay70

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2015
Why are people worried about the so called "Spying" in windows 10? Facebook, and android all spy on us not to mention other software we uses on a daily basis, But do we complain about that? NO! IMO privacy will be a thing of the past.

Entreri

Level 7
Verified
May 25, 2015
People have to make a stand somewhere. I applaud this petition.

At this rate, future generations will be wearing (internally) tracking and recording devices, mandated by law. You have nothing to hide right? Thus for public safety we must be able to track you 24/7, video, audio and location.

L

Lucent Warrior

Don't like MS behavior, don't use Windows. simple as that. it is not like you can't avoid it or you bound to it by law.

If i go to a place that smash my head to go to their new area s which i don't like, i won't go anymore.
What if you bought a specific vehicle, based upon its specs, that suited you better then any other, and then one morning you woke up and the manufacture had visited your house in the middle of the night, and swapped the engine out in that vehicle, claiming it was best for you, without your authorization? ;) :D Most users complaining are doing so because they did spend money on a system, some have chosen to not upgrade for specific reasons, and to wake up one morning to find windows 10 greeting them has had a few people around my area, a little more then upset.

D

Deleted member 178

What if you bought a specific vehicle, based upon its specs, that suited you better then any other, and then one morning you woke up and the manufacture had visited your house in the middle of the night, and swapped the engine out in that vehicle, claiming it was best for you, without your authorization? ;) :D

Without my authorization? impossible, nothing can install on my system without i notice :
- the download , if i see my download rate at maximum speed, i will worry -
- then the HDD used space is getting far bigger
- the PC ask for reboot !

come on, how can't you notice !

btw, If the engine is better, safer, faster, i won't complain , i would congratulate them to give it to me for free. :D

Most users complaining are doing so because they did spend money on a system, some have chosen to not upgrade for specific reasons, and to wake up one morning to find windows 10 greeting them has had a few people around my area, a little more then upset.

I still wonder how people can let it upgrade without noticing...

L

Lucent Warrior

Without my authorization? impossible, nothing can install on my system without i notice :
- the download , if i see my download rate at maximum speed, i will worry -
- then the HDD used space is getting far bigger
- the PC ask for reboot !

come on, how can't you notice !

btw, If the engine is better, safer, faster, i won't complain , i would congratulate them to give it to me for free. :D

I still wonder how people can let it upgrade without noticing...
Not all users have automated tracking and destroy immunity such as yourself ;) :D

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.