D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Last edited by a moderator:
L

LabZero

Thread author
Yeah good news!

I was trying to figure out how, from the table obtained with the 512 key xor, we can decrypt only the first sector of the MFT encrypted by Petya, in fact, to decrypt the encrypted sectors from following sectors of the MFT it is necessary to know all the other keys.
Having available, however, only a value of 0 table, for me, it was not possible to go back to the Master Table, and consequently to the 32 bytes key.

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
hi guys,anyway i am curious about one thing i didn't think about before.
w10 secure boot didn't prevent petya to install its loader?
thank you

L

LabZero

Thread author
hi guys,anyway i am curious about one thing i didn't think about before.
w10 secure boot didn't prevent petya to install its loader?
thank you
Good question!

Windows 10 uses GPT instead of MBR which contains the boot code and the partition table that Petya uses in its steps to store the malcode.
But even GPT has a master boot record and a partition table, and probably, for how it works, Petya overwrites this GPT data, but without creating a backup copy of it because of the sectors flagged as unused, and in this case it may be impossible to decrypt the HDD.

snakeaj

May 12, 2016
Hello!

i allready tried all guides i found (yours too) but when i feed hack-petya.exe with the .txt files it starts working from 117 down, down, down but never below 91 - then it starts somwhere at 110 again.
i never get a final key.
same problem on key website (its down atm)

please help me!
thank you

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.