Battle PIA, NordVPN or ProtonVPN?

Janl1992l

Level 14
Verified
Well-known
Feb 14, 2016
From these 3 i would choose NordVPN. But i would look abit around. These are by far not the best one. Maybe u can look at Airvpn, perfect-privacy vpn, ivpn or mullvad vpn. These are way more quality vpns and realy privacy focused. I would look specialy at Airvpn, only opensource client(eddie) u can use it with any provider and they are realy serious about privacy and what they are doing+a nice forum + community.

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I've used NordVPN in the past and currently have a ProtonVPN subscription active (which won't be renewed).
From what I experienced NordVPN had severe speed and reliability issues; I had a 50Mb download speed at the time and with NordVPN connected I usually got anywhere between 5 - 10Mb. The connection also dropped constantly which made it pretty much worthless as an always-on VPN. I didn't experience any leaks using the service but the killswitch was complete garbage and sometimes simply didn't work.

My experience with ProtonVPN is much more positive with much higher speeds (on a 100Mb download speed and usually get around 50 - 70Mb) and far less connection drops (although they do happen now and again). Once again I didn't experience any leaks but ProtonVPN's killswitch is also utter garbage and only works when it feels like it.

Keep in mind that my experience with NordVPN was years ago and the service may have improved since then.
Also know that I no longer use either of these services as I require a VPN to be connected permanently on all my devices and I don't particularly trust either company with handling all my computing activity.

Obviously I can't comment on Private Internet Access as I've never used their service.

BigDataAir

Nov 5, 2018
The real question is, how you are going to use your VPN? If you let us know what aspect of a VPN is the most important for you, then I can give you a very good answer.

If you are looking for safe VPN. Definitely go with NordVPN. They have all the goods to back it up.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.