Pirated Software is All Fun and Games Until Your Data’s Stolen

[correlate]

Level 18
Thread author
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2019
It may be tempting to try to download the latest games or applications for free, but doing so will ultimately land you in a hotbed of trouble as your computer becomes infected with adware, ransomware, and password-stealing Trojans.

Tools that allow you to crack, or bypass license restrictions, in copyrighted software have been around forever and users have always known that they face the risk of being infected with unwanted software by using them.

In the past, though, most of the unwanted programs that were installed were adware or browser extensions, and though definitely a nuisance, for the most part, they were not stealing your files or installing ransomware on your computer.

This has changed as software installer monetization companies have started to increasingly team up with ransomware and password-stealing Trojan developers to distribute their malware.

Antus67

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Nov 3, 2019
Free software offered on a legitimate site is OK, everyone I'm sure likes free, however software which is being developed costs money.......time....and staff involved. If you can't afford to pay for it................ don't pirate it you may pay the price you won't like.

TairikuOkami

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
It is sort of funny then, that Steam/GOG use those very cracks to allow games to run without CD/DVD or no longer supported online check.

For example Independence War 2 on both of those sites and countless others.
If you scan the program ...
AV will most likely report it as infected, merely because it is warez.

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
Anyone who uses pirated software is begging for trouble. And that is speaking from experience. A long time ago, in the late '90s, I was guilty of using it, and I paid the price. My entire computer was rendered useless as a result, and I lost very important files. Now, I use open source, check free giveaway sites (I'm cheap), or I bite the bullet and buy what I need.

Using hacked software just ain't worth taking the chance.

L

Local Host

This only applies to P2P releases, not scene releases.

Even then would be hard to steal data when blocked in the Firewall, the claims are ridiculous and shows inexperience.

The whole malware claims, are made up by Publishers to push people away from cracked Software, obviously they failed.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I think dropping the "crack" into virustotal would more than sufficient to tell if the crack is legit or malware. There are AVs that very obviously hate cracks and mark them as malware no matter what. There are other AVs that tell you if a crack is safe or not.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I think dropping the "crack" into virustotal would more than sufficient to tell if the crack is legit or malware. There are AVs that very obviously hate cracks and mark them as malware no matter what. There are other AVs that tell you if a crack is safe or not.
VirusTotal will flag most clean cracks, too, due to their behavior. However, some AVs who participate in VT give fairly accurate descriptions of the type of issue they found with the crack. If you understand their analysis, and want to rely on it, the risk is significantly diminished.
You also need to check the date of the first VT submission, because new malware might not be detected right away, especially over the weekend when malware analysts are off work.
In any case, as far as we are concerned, warez is for testing purposes, not for illegal purposes.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
One of the most famous and reliable crack makers got hacked about a year ago, and a lot of people got ransomware because they relied on him.
you mean cracksnow :D:D
some people say he was involved in ransomware distribution

Wow I've actually never read about this until now. It's definitely one of the risks you take when downloading torrents, you are relying solely on one person to upload files that aren't malicious. They aren't a company that has stakeholders to answer to. Most importantly they are doing it for free so they really don't have any incentives for you to keep coming back.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Wow I've actually never read about this until now. It's definitely one of the risks you take when downloading torrents, you are relying solely on one person to upload files that aren't malicious. They aren't a company that has stakeholders to answer to. Most importantly they are doing it for free so they really don't have any incentives for you to keep coming back.
Like Bob Dylan said, "When you live outside of the law, you must be honest."

polishpatriot

Level 2
Feb 4, 2020
This only applies to P2P releases, not scene releases.

proof ?

Even then would be hard to steal data when blocked in the Firewall, the claims are ridiculous and shows inexperience.

the researcher has long-standing credibility within the industry, so where is your proof of this claim ?

The whole malware claims, are made up by Publishers to push people away from cracked Software, obviously they failed.

where is the proof that publishers are behind the bleepingcomputer article written by abrams ?

Reactions: [correlate]

Tiamati

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
If you scan the program, game whatever you download for " free " and block internet conection no need to worry in most cases..
I have 2 concerns about this idea:

1) The crack/trojan may have a low distribution and not be identified by the AV, or it will be identified and you won't know if it is identified as a crack tool or a real threat

2) (here, i have a question) many crack used a *.dll file to substitute the original one. This dll file would not be able to inject commands in your system that could use other files (like your own windows system files) to access internet and cause damage? If so, blocking the internet connection of the *.dll or even the cracked program itself would be ineffective

I never crack anything, but unfortunately i've already seem a lot of people doing it, despite my advices.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.