Google Notes
Cloud storage
Google Drive
Games
Homescapes and similar
Android launcher
Pixel Launcher
File and Photo backup
Google Drive, Google One, Near unlimited Google Photos backup till device EOL on 4a.
Active subscriptions
    • Google One Basic 100GB
Notable changes
Android 14 April 2024 SP
What I'm looking for?

Looking for medium feedback.

Vasudev

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Updated to July 2023 SP. Faced thermal issue on Pixel 7 after half a day with temps peaking to 45c on 24c ambient temps otherwise it would be below 33C. Had to run bg-dexopt-job to fix the issue as it forced to run app optimizations in foreground.

Vasudev

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Between these 4 apps;
  • Which do you use the most?
  • Which offers the best privacy features?
  • Which is your overall personal preference?
  • Whatsapp, Signal, Google Messages.
  • Threema, Signal, Google Msgs, Whatsapp.
  • convenience wise google msgs.

Reactions: harlan4096

Vasudev

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
How is the pixel 7 and battery life?
Its been great. Out of the box just connecting to WiFi it was just hot at 50C. Had to enable dev options to unlock BL lock and flash latest available firmware/software through pixe repair website on MS Edge/Chromium browser. Google Pixel - Update and Software Repair
It asked to install adb and add it to env path and proceeded to flash the phone afterwards it was much cooler during setup/migration from 4a. <45C most of the time. I disabled dual sim standby and always ON mobile data which improved idle battery life overnight by 5-7%
5G is a battery hog and I've limited LTE/5G so 5G always being ON lasts only 4hrs whereas on LTE 5-6hrs. With WiFi connected always, I can manage 8-10hrs. Honestly, no lags or whatsoever whilst compared to 4a. WiFi/BT range is amazing.

Vasudev

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Upgraded to Android 14 Oct 23. Geekbench scores are much lower and thermal trip point seems to be dropped fro 42C to 36/37C. I tried benching with fixed performance mode and didn't make a difference even after running pm bg-dexopt-job .

Noticed ADB has lot more option to cleanup old unused dex files/artifacts in adb shell. pm art cleanup
Compile all apps(disk usage will be same as OEM default speed-profile): pm compile -r bg-dexopt -a
Compile all apps with optimized for speed and increased disk usage:pm compile -r bg-dexopt -m speed -a
Set fixed perf mode: adb shell cmd power set-fixed-performance-mode-enabled true
unset fixed perf or adaptive performance: adb shell cmd power set-fixed-performance-mode-enabled false

Reactions: Moonhorse
F

ForgottenSeer 103564

Upgraded to Android 14 Oct 23. Geekbench scores are much lower and thermal trip point seems to be dropped fro 42C to 36/37C. I tried benching with fixed performance mode and didn't make a difference even after running pm bg-dexopt-job .

Noticed ADB has lot more option to cleanup old unused dex files/artifacts in adb shell. pm art cleanup
Compile all apps(disk usage will be same as OEM default speed-profile): pm compile -r bg-dexopt -a
Compile all apps with optimized for speed and increased disk usage:pm compile -r bg-dexopt -m speed -a
Set fixed perf mode: adb shell cmd power set-fixed-performance-mode-enabled true
unset fixed perf or adaptive performance: adb shell cmd power set-fixed-performance-mode-enabled false
I treat my pixel how i would a windows laptop, when windows upgrades came out i would clean install them, not upgrade them. Once the upgrade completed i factory reset it to a cleaned up version of 14, much better now.

Vasudev

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I treat my pixel how i would a windows laptop, when windows upgrades came out i would clean install them, not upgrade them. Once the upgrade completed i factory reset it to a cleaned up version of 14, much better now.
With A/B seamless the apps resides in different partition/directory and only system files are moved from slot A or B. I don't see much different post 12L. With android 9,10,11,12L I have always upgraded to higher version, make a backup to g drive and then clean install or hard-reset. Its almost been 4 years since I've clean installed Win 10. I just do upgrade in-place nowadays due to avoid missing authenticator keys for company accounts on PC/Phone. Its hard to contact IT team to reset the auth keys.

Vasudev

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Updated to Dec 2023 Feature Drop and Google Play system update for November 2023.
Updated Bitwarden KDF to OWASP recommended values.

Reactions: harlan4096

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.