Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
png_embedded_data.jpg

Researchers have discovered a relatively new way to distribute malware that relies on reading JavaScript code stored in an obfuscated PNG file’s metadata to trigger iFrame injections.

More here:
http://threatpost.com/png-image-metadata-leading-to-iframe-injections/104047

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
i don't install java runtimes.
Most people don't need java runtime. Such a huge security risk.

Reactions: Venustus

Venustus

Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Same here, no Java on any of my machines!

I

illumination

You got that right Pro. Lots of people get them confused.

To protect yourself against malicious javascript/IFRAMES, start using Firefox with NoScript, even better if you run Firefox sandboxed (Sandboxie).

Bo

Noscript will do it, but one must remember that by default, iframes is not ticked on to block in Noscript, you have to manually go into settings to do so.. Excellent extension it is though, the best you can get in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.