Poll: Have you changed your shopping behavior due to the recent data breaches?

Have you changed your shopping behavior due to the recent data breaches?

• It has not affected my payment method

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • I no longer use my Credit/Debit cards at these Stores

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have stopped shopping at these stores

• I try to use cash more often in general

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • I now use Apps to Pay (Apple Pay, Google Wallet, etc..)

• I try to limit non-cash transactions

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

soccer97

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
May 22, 2014
Are you more careful about using Credit/Debit cards now because of the data breaches lately?

This question was brought up at an Information Security Seminar (The good side of InfoSec) I attended. Some people have chosen to no longer shop at stores that have been affected by data breaches. I understand their viewpoint (however I would probably just use cash in that case). I personally try to be selective and rarely if ever enter a PIN at a POS.

What is your take?

If the poll doesn't cover your opinion, please feel free to reply.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
To a degree yes, I no longer do online banking, nor (when I can) buy stuff online - I think that this world is becoming so dangerous, people years ago never dreamed about wiping someones bank account, my dad said in the 1950's you could leave your door unlocked all day/night and nothing would happen. Now, people will take anything, it's about time people worried, not only about themselves, but also about the community they live in, if everyone did so, this world would be a better place.

soccer97

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
May 22, 2014
To a degree yes, I no longer do online banking, nor (when I can) buy stuff online - I think that this world is becoming so dangerous, people years ago never dreamed about wiping someones bank account, my dad said in the 1950's you could leave your door unlocked all day/night and nothing would happen. Now, people will take anything, it's about time people worried, not only about themselves, but also about the community they live in, if everyone did so, this world would be a better place.

My parents said the same thing. They did not feel that concerned about leaving their door unlocked in their early years, until people began stealing Christmas gifts from under people's trees. That was 50 + years ago. It is sad how bad things have gotten lately.

tallorder

Level 6
Verified
Jan 15, 2015
So far nothing bad has happened to me yet so think all is good but i have never done online banking.
When I get my new computer, all online purchasing and all info will be changed. The security advice I have been given is that I must do online purchasing, set up ONE special bank account for that, do not link anything, and use the debit/credit card for that account only for any absolutely required online purchase. Stock that account with only enough cash to cover normal usage, replacing cash if needed. I will be closing/replacing any cards now open with new one, and will never use it online, and only probably the one card from now on at any merchant. Since the person who is building my computer is a security expert: his career is advising how to protect yourself and your business, I will follow his advice closely!:rolleyes:

Reactions: Tony Cole

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
This was sort of a curious question. The major retail chains breached switched from what they were using to something that actual works, so these are probably the safest places to shop. The stores that are still using traditional methods are those that one should be comcerned with.

Also, one shouldn't use a Debit card, ever.

Reactions: soccer97

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
But your using Linux won't help at all if the Bank itself has been breached. Important thing to remember is that you take more care with your data then they do.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
Why should you never use a Debit card, I always do, never use a Credit card - at least with a Debit card you know you have the money available. I hate debit.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
Wow, thanks cruelsister. May be I will get a credit card, I have enough money to not get in to debit, I never released they had such problems! It's an eye opener.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
My pleasure, and thank you for reading it! We really have to take care of eachother.

soccer97

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
May 22, 2014
Wow, thanks cruelsister. May be I will get a credit card, I have enough money to not get in to debit, I never released they had such problems! It's an eye opener.

Please do some research into this. I would rarely if ever suggest using a debit card online, ever. The same stuff with Gas pumps at gas stations. Go inside and pre-pay (if you are in the US).

Reactions: Logethica

jasonX

Level 9
Apr 13, 2012
I need to control spending so I generally purchase anything with cash at hand. I seldom use the credit card now. Only for emergencies such as hospital/medication etc. But if I have the cash at hand I use cash.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I barely purchase any items online if its really needed, only songs in Itunes store. The fact is that I've used majority of software is free and does have very good in reliability, second buying online needs a thorough research if its trusted or not which tactics are present in online nowadays.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.