Not open for further replies.

Faybert

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
German software development company Cliqz, owner of the popular privacy browser extension Ghostery, has decided to open source the tool. With Ghostery it’s possible to block advertisements and trackers. On Chrome, it has nearly 3 million users, while there are also 1 million Firefox users with the extension installed.

Cliqz acquired Ghostery a year ago and by open sourcing the extension the companies want to, “demonstrate their commitment to transparency and an open internet.”

By being able to view the source code, users are better able to understand how Ghostery works and what kind of data it collects. Besides that, other developers can now contribute to the software.

Full Article: Popular Ghostery privacy browser extension becomes open source - Myce.com

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Was absent using it for awhile but after they released version 8...

4QCi2U7B_o.gif

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Glad to see that Ghostery is now open source.
For me it's a good thing because maybe now more people will trust it's privacy policy even though it's a bit difficult.
I have used it in the past and maybe i will try again

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.