PowerColor RX 7900XTX Red Devil with built-in manufacturing defect

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016

PowerColor RX 7900XTX Red Devil with built-in manufacturing defect – When the hotspot becomes a performance killer (with repair instructions) – Update​

16. May 2023 05:45

I didn’t really want to believe it at first, but after receiving feedback in the double digits, I combined what was pleasant for the customer with what was interesting for me. I analyze and repair the card at my risk, so that the buyer gets a working card back in any case and I am at least smarter in the end. The 30 Kelvin delta between GPU temperature and hotspot temperature just triggered me too much. Once a defective card or two, ok, that can happen. But when it comes to many very identical cases, I feel (challenged).
.... ....

In the meantime, PowerColor has contacted me and sent me a suitable statement:

We have identified an issue on our production line where some of the cards are experiencing higher hot spot temperatures than usual. We verified that this happens to a small percentage of the total output and we are already in the process of replacing the thermal grease. With the new input from IgorLabs we are also verifying if changing the way we mount the cooler onto the card adds to improved thermal performance . We are working to resolve this issue as quickly as possible to ensure that our customers receive only the highest quality products. If anyone is experiencing this issue, please reach out to info@powercolor.com .

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.