Serious Discussion Privacy Concern about an old hard drive

Darkk

Thread author
Jun 4, 2024
Hello,
I bought a new laptop, and i also have this old laptop broken laptop(faulty motherboard). I want to use a USB adapter to plug in the old laptop's harddrive into the new laptop to get some of my old files.
My concern is, will plugging the old hard drive compromise my Privacy, will it link my old digital identity/footprint to the new laptop?
Thanks

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Apr 21, 2016
No, simply transferring files from an old hard drive to a new laptop won't automatically link your old digital identity/footprint to the new laptop. However, be cautious about transferring any files that may contain tracking cookies or malware. Always ensure you have updated antivirus software before proceeding with such transfers.

EstrellaRhodes

Jun 3, 2024
Hey! Congrats on the new laptop! Using a USB adapter to connect your old hard drive should be fine for transferring files. It won't link your old ID to your new laptop. Just use it like a regular external drive, and you should be good to go. If you're still worried, you can scan the old drive for any malware before transferring files.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.