Question Privacy Event may have involved your information - Cybercriminal able to see and take copies of some information in our computer system.

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Peterg

Thread author
Jun 10, 2023
I got something about this in the mail that happen about 3 to 4 months ago. What should I do about it to protect myself ?

They told me this information may have been involved:

1. Information used to contact you, like first and last name, address, date of birth, phone number, email
2. Social Security number
3. Driver's license number/other government-issued ID number
4. Health insurance (plan information, insurance company, member number, Medicaid-Medicare ID numbers)
5. Bills and insurance claims

It is difficult to say if it legitimate. If there anything I can do that is safe to double check please say.

Freki123

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
Maybe check if your email was in a data breach. If yes change the password asap. And if you reused that old email password anywhere else also change it there.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Your information will be sold.

Take extra precautions responding to demands, as you will be targeted by Post, Email and by Phone.

Social

Email
  • create a new email, or email alias and migrate your online accounts to this new address.
  • change your email account password and, if you have not done so already, enable 2FA.
  • FTC Consumer Advice: Unwanted Emails, Texts, and Mail
Phone
  • use a spam protection app (Android/iOS), your telephone provider may offer services for landline (non-mobile).
  • FTC Consumer Advice: Unwanted Calls

Outlook: How to create an Alias to manage multiple emails under one account.
Look into DuckDuckGo Email Protection to help hide/mask your real email in events like this.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Suggestions from an AI:
Here are some additional things you can do to protect yourself after a privacy event:
  • Sign up for credit monitoring. This will allow you to see if any new accounts are opened in your name.
  • Get a copy of your credit report from each of the three major credit bureaus once a year. This will allow you to review your report for any signs of fraud.
  • Place a security freeze on your credit reports. This will prevent anyone from opening new accounts in your name without your permission.
  • Be vigilant about your financial accounts. Monitor your bank accounts and credit card statements for any unauthorized charges.
  • Report any suspicious activity to the authorities. If you see anything that looks like fraud, report it to the police and the Federal Trade Commission (FTC).
Source: Bard

Reactions: Zero Knowledge

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.