Private Firewall from Privacyware

How would you rate Private Firewall from Privacyware?

• Total voters
Product name
Private firewall 7.0.30.3
Pros
  • 1.It is free
    2.Anti-logger (32/64 bit)
    3.Advanced Application Control
    4.System Anomaly Detection
    5.Behavioral hacker protection
CONS
It sometimes freeze only in windows 10.Discontinued the development.
BOTTOM LINE
3 Stars Good for windows Xp,7,8,8.1.It is free and BB is good.

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
I've used it on Windows 7 and it's 5/5. On Windows 10 it has a few issues so it' 4/5. In the end, if you have Windows 7 I recommend it, if you use Windows 10, you should use another product or use Windows Firewall.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Typically effective but you need to maintain and anticipate from pop-ups, another thing that product is not really dead however some flaws may occur since Windows 10 is not yet fully approve by Microsoft.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
@jadinolf. If you use PF as a pure Firewall it's really good. I am using Comodo now, so I don't need PF. In the settings, there is a setting to off the HIPS to have pure internet monitoring.

The HIPS is not complete, and it's not flexible. You can't create exceptions like you can with Comodo. I was glad to be rid of the Private Firewall HIPS finally honestly. You learn that the pop ups are basically useless. If you allow and remember, too much can get by, and the PF HIPS doesn't monitor command line statements one by one...just lets you know if something wants to start a command line interpreter. That is if you haven't already allowed and remembered to let the application run .exes or change process privilege or whatever the app wants to do with command line...

I tried committing to never remembering some kinds of choices, like keyboard monitoring and privilege escalation and some of the others, but it was still a huge burden to use the HIPS at the highest settings. Good luck with PF. If you ever would like to try Comodo, there is support here and a good number of users who can help.

Reactions: WinXPert

jadinolf

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jun 20, 2014
@jadinolf. If you use PF as a pure Firewall it's really good. I am using Comodo now, so I don't need PF. In the settings, there is a setting to off the HIPS to have pure internet monitoring.

The HIPS is not complete, and it's not flexible. You can't create exceptions like you can with Comodo. I was glad to be rid of the Private Firewall HIPS finally honestly. You learn that the pop ups are basically useless. If you allow and remember, too much can get by, and the PF HIPS doesn't monitor command line statements one by one...just lets you know if something wants to start a command line interpreter. That is if you haven't already allowed and remembered to let the application run .exes or change process privilege or whatever the app wants to do with command line...

I tried committing to never remembering some kinds of choices, like keyboard monitoring and privilege escalation and some of the others, but it was still a huge burden to use the HIPS at the highest settings. Good luck with PF. If you ever would like to try Comodo, there is support here and a good number of users who can help.

Thanks for the information. I think I will uninstall Private Firewall and go to the Windows 10 firewall.
I remember trying to download the Comodo firewall once and my malware programs went berserk so I never tried it again.

Wish me luck.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Thanks for the information. I think I will uninstall Private Firewall and go to the Windows 10 firewall.
I remember trying to download the Comodo firewall once and my malware programs went berserk so I never tried it again.

Wish me luck.

The time until comodo finishes the setup after installing may be a bit of a barrier.
Although there may be compatibility with resident security products, comodo has many users and information is circulating.
When you are in trouble, if you ask at this forum, someone will surely tell you. It is very fortunate that you are participating in the environment you contact.
All right!(y)

jadinolf

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jun 20, 2014
The time until comodo finishes the setup after installing may be a bit of a barrier.
Although there may be compatibility with resident security products, comodo has many users and information is circulating.
When you are in trouble, if you ask at this forum, someone will surely tell you. It is very fortunate that you are participating in the environment you contact.
All right!(y)
That's very good to know.
Well, I am on the Windows 10 Firewall now. I wandered over to the Gibson Research site and it at least passed all the tests there.:)

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014

Not sure when you tried Comodo. I do seem to recall a day when the security vendors seemed to be blacklisting each other. I also recall back around versions 3-6 how much Comodo Firewall scared me very much to use with the bugs in the program and the quirky settings. For me, with version 10, Comodo crossed the line into a solid application, really for the first time. At its default settings and just using the Proactive configuration over the Firewall configuation, it is a full and complete security experience .

Comodo's Trusted Vendor List I feel is the key for users who want to have the minimal experience with alerts. With Cloud Lookup enabled, as it is by default, you won't have many alerts if you use the standard TVL (I mean if you don't trim it or edit it down as some do). It's obviously a good list, considering if any program by any of those vendors is not officially signed or if the signature is out of date, Comodo will let you know even about that condition. Of course, software from other than a trusted vendor and which is not alloved by the Comoodo cloud via Cloud Lookup will automatically be sandboxed (limited access to system applications) whether it is or is not signed or is or is not signed properly. Add in the ability to run the browser in the sandbox if you would like and the command line monitoring, and it's no wonder Comodo tests so well. Really good program...

Some small quirks to learn about saving settings. Once you learn those, it's as stable as any of the other security products...

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
PFW still can be the solid protection but is not reasonable at this time to install it on the newest build of Win10. Privacyware's statement shows why
*Windows 10 Support
For those experiencing challenges installing/operating Privatefirewall on Windows 10 (either via upgrade or new system), consider the following:

- Uninstall Privatefirewall. Reboot system.
- Apply right mouse to Privatefirewall installer 7.0.30.3 and select Run as administrator. Install and reboot.

Privatefirewall is not formally certified for Windows 10, but in most cases, it will operate as expected on Windows 10 systems. In others, it may be necessary to specify the Win 8 compatibility setting. To do so, go to Start, All apps, Privatefirewall 7.0, apply right mouse and select Properties, Select Compatibility tab, check Compatibility mode checkbox "Run this program in compatibility mode: Windows 8". Click Apply. Restart system.
https://www.privacyware.com/PF_support.html
BTW - my note is five stars (y)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.