AtlBo

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
On Windows 7 using Firefox, I accessed OneDrive but couldn't see pics. I noticed the page was trying to reload, so I checked and could see that Private Firewall's block log was being spammed by an IP. I hardly ever use OneDrive, and the invisible pics problem had me using other file sharing services for months now. Couldn't find an answer for the issue. Turns out I had at some point used PF to manually ban the IP that was being spammed today. So I got the idea to unban the IP and see if the pics would show up. Sure enough, a page refresh and there they were. Obviously, the IP is a MS one, which I did verify with WhoIs.

Can't recall why I banned the IP originally, but I think it had something to do with a previous alert that was associated with Firefox. Think it was a HIPS warning about Firefox attempting a promiscuous behavior (internet) that caused me to ban the IP, but I just can't recall. The "Promiscuous or raw sockets" HIPS alert block does block IPs sometimes (kind of a double chance to block net or network activity since PF alerts a different type of block/alert for actual internet connection attempts). Anyway, this IP must have been in the block log for me to have banned it back whenever I created the original perma block.

My question is, is there a way to be notified when an IP contacts the PC without having to allow or ban the IP? I just want to know if this IP is doing anything else. I think the MS EULA for Windows 10 maybe has me on edge about what MS considers their own personal domain so to speak. I don't use the OneDrive service for anything but online files for sharing, so there isn't any reason for MS to have access to the PC. Private Firewall does have the log, but PF only logs blocks and not allows. For now, I have unblocked the IP, so I can use OneDrive.

Thanks.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Switch to WFC maybe, it logs allowed.
You could stop using onedrive, thats another option.
This issue sounds like it has very little to do with Firefox and more
to do with your IP ban configuration. WFC logs both blocked and allowed
connections and may help solve your issue.

Reactions: AtlBo

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
The easier solution would be using Dropbox or another service. The reason i recommend Dropbox is the size you can obtain over referral and the easy way to restore your file to an older version or even tell Dropbox to restore the whole Dropbox account to an earlier date.

Btw Private Firewall is abandonware so you might want to switch from it at some point.

https://www.privacyware.com/PF_support.html

Last edited:
Reactions: Ink

AtlBo

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Thanks for the replies. I have a Hotmail account dating back to the late nineties that is my primary e-mail account. This means that using OneDrive for file sharing is hard to escape for me.

SHvFI, thanks for noting that PF is abandonware, but the theory in the program lends itself to a timeless formula. It's 100% rules and connections based, so it's kind of like what will 2 + 2 be in the year 2078? The answer will still be 4. That said, it has weaknesses, and the HIPS are not intuitive, something that I continually look at in newer products. Still, after 4-5 years of PF, I am comfortable with using the program, albeit I do get alot of pop ups with the settings I use. I choose to look at them as opportunities to scrutinize and so I give myself many looks at a pop up before choosing to allow permanently or block permanently.

I hope (fingers crossed) that someone will come along and take PF to another level. I have ideas for protecting files and also for the setting of universal rules that I would love to see in a simple blocker based firewall like PF.

Thanks again...

Reactions: Ink
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.