imsoadude

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
As soon as it loads into USB or disc it will crash and turn off
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Put old ram back in tried both pieces one at a time cleaned the slots.
I recently bought new ram corsair 2x4gb (CMSX8GX3M2A1600C9) I used crucials tester to make sure this is compatible and it shows 1600mhz and 1.5v is compatible. My laptop is a Samsung QX410-S01CA please let me know if there's anything else I can try.

Reactions: DracusNarcrym

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
It's possible that the testing tool you used gave you incorrect information. It's software after all, and any piece of software can make mistakes.

There are several parameters we need to check in order to make sure that the RAM you purchased is compatible with your motherboard. (e.g. the motherboard and the RAM voltage values, whether your motherboard supports the RAM's frequency, etc)

This is the RAM you bought, including all of its necessary details: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (CMSX8GX3M2A1600C9) - PCPartPicker

However, we'll also need some information for your motherboard.

To get that information, please download the following file, extract it and run Speccy.exe:
Speccy - Portable

Once you've done the above, then do the following, as you see it in the image:
Xlh5gAJ.png

In this thread, attach the .txt file you created with Speccy.
Then we'll see what's going on. :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
It might be the clock speed of the RAM you purchased. We can in no way be sure that 1600MHz is compatible with your motherboard.

The factory RAM (4gb) is clocked at 532MHz (3 times less than the RAM you bought) which is rather suspicious.

I'm afraid the the most possible issue is that the RAM you bought is meant for desktop PCs with motherboards which support that clock speed (90% of current desktop motherboards support 1600MHz in RAM clock speed).

Although this might not be a definitive answer, I'm afraid that the RAM you purchased might be incompatible with your laptop (laptops are generally very hard to upgrade manually).

You could try and tweak the memory speed and timing in the BIOS settings, but that can be very hard to communicate over a forum, I'm afraid, and would require a lot of trial and error. :/

Reactions: imsoadude
Upvote 0

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Hmm I was afraid of that, my bios options are very basic I didn't see any options for memory speed etc.
I'm afraid you'll have to do with the factory RAM, then... BIOS settings were the last chance, albeit a slim chance, that this would work.

BUT DO NOT WORRY: The RAM you purchased is a high-quality piece and you should definitely keep it in case you build or upgrade a desktop PC in the future! :p

In any case, happy new year, my friend!

I'm sorry we couldn't help you get this to work, but should you need any other hekp, do post another thread here!
Wr could help you pick parts for a PC in the future, who knows! ;)

Anyways, have fun and see you around! :p

Upvote 0

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Also very odd it's clocked at 532, the adata sticks say on them 1333mhz
Truly odd. The memory reports that functionally it's clocked at 532MHz. Even so, if you want to retry upgrading the RAM, make sure to check if it's the correct DDR type (DDR2 or DDR3, in this case) and MHz frequency (1333MHz in this case).

Upvote 0

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
I can guarantee its ddr3 I opened up my laptop saw it written on the slots haha, thank you for your help :)
Great to hear! So if you'd ever want to upgrade the RAM of your laptop, look for DDR3 type clocked @ 1333MHz.
(I wouldn't recommend this anyway, though, laptops aren't worth the fuss, and personally I've actually owned my share of laptops :D)

Anyway, you got some nifty RAM sticks, so pack them back into their box and plan ahead for a desktop PC next time you think of upgrading your laptop or getting a new computer! ;)

Lastly, here's an extremely useful website for picking up desktop PC parts at the best price and automatically verifying their compatibility with each other:
PC Part Picker

Reactions: frogboy
Upvote 0

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
These are the supported memory types for your laptop per Intel are DDR3-800, DDR3-1066.
DDR3-1066 would work or if the installed memory is DDR3-1333 then try getting that memory.
In any event the memory you purchased is the wrong memory

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.