New Update Proton Pass is now available (Features, Security model and Plans)

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
Is there a comparison somewhere with eg Bitwarden...? Is proton pass better? :unsure:
I love Proton stuff, but, after using Proton Pass for a month in Beta, its VERY raw.

Bitwarden etc are super polished in comparison so I would have to say, no.

It might be the most secure thing on the planet but at the cost of convenience and cross app compatibility. IMHO.

I'm quite happy with Apple Keychain.

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
Watch this, skip at 12:40

I don't trust this guy! I had an online argument with him about the availability of DDG as a desktop browser and rather than admit he was wrong he ended-up ghosting me.

Wouldn't believe a word he was saying.

Anyway, tried Bitwarden. Way too invasive for my liking and 1Password, well...

Nup, happy with Apple stuff thanks until Proton lift their game.

Reactions: simmerskool

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
I don't trust this guy! I had an online argument with him about the availability of DDG as a desktop browser and rather than admit he was wrong he ended-up ghosting me.

Wouldn't believe a word he was saying.

Anyway, tried Bitwarden. Way too invasive for my liking and 1Password, well...

Nup, happy with Apple stuff thanks until Proton lift their game.
Ah okay everyone can make a mistake and get wrong sometimes it happens i would say 95% of them are right and 5% of them are wrong like this.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Proton need to advertise this better, on the App Store and Play Store, as neither mentions a 7-day Free Trial before the user installs.
Agree as I only saw this as soon I started the trial. Btw, 2 days left now and if I understood correct I will only be able to use one so called Vault so I tested and moved over all the most common used into one, and made that the default and hope it sticks after these 7 days.

The rest of the features for Pass Plus I can live happy without.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Agree as I only saw this as soon I started the trial. Btw, 2 days left now and if I understood correct I will only be able to use one so called Vault so I tested and moved over all the most common used into one, and made that the default and hope it sticks after these 7 days.

The rest of the features for Pass Plus I can live happy without.
I had a look around the app and don’t think it’s worth migrating away from Bitwarden/1Password.

It’d have to be a pass on Proton Pass.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
tldr; Never put all your eggs in one basket.

Your ProtonMail and Proton Pass share the same login, you will need to memorise your Proton account login. Or as suggested create a new Proton account for passwords and encrypted notes.

Question asked reddit.com/r/ProtonMail/proton_pass_login
tldr: separate passwords for proton mail and proton pass

I have just installed proton pass, and i have logged in with my protonmail email and password. There could be issues with that.

Ok, it makes sense to remember one password, and that is the password manager master password. I have been using Bit warden. So that is the only password I remember. And I do not remember the protonmail password at all, or any other password.

Now lets say I lose both my phone and laptop (unlikely but still). For bitwarden I remember the one master password so it is no problem, in the case of proton pass I am #####ed, unless I remember the password. So, do I have to make my protonmail password something memorable?.

Is there any way I can set a different password for the proton pass account?

Response by community member:
Orher than Bitwarden / 1password / whatever, you‘re having with Pass the Proton Ecosystem. Meaning, features like Alias creating wouldn‘t work. And the way your account is encrypted wouldn‘t work, that‘s the reason why (I assume it‘s not possible to do).

Afaik they‘re working on an option to let you log in without 2FA while still having 2FA, but for now…
  • use a different account for Pass (alias creation sucks; if you‘re unlimited sucks)
  • set your AccPassword to a remomerable MasterPassword and deactivate 2FA (or save your 2FA for Proton outside e.g. on authy) (that‘s how I do it)
  • live with the risk

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I don't get it, can't he just remember his Proton password the same as he remembers his Bitwarden one?
No, the password managers purpose is to generate secure passwords, not the other way around.

Your Email Password should not be your Master Password.

In the examples below let’s ignore 2FA to make it easier to understand:
  • Email Password (is) Master Password
    • Eg. Proton Mail password gets leaked, then the Proton Pass vault is compromised.
  • Email Password (is not) Master Password
    • Eg. Proton Mail password gets leaked, then the Bitwarden vault is not compromised.

As far as I know, only 1Password implements a Secret Key to make it impossible to compromise your vault if your password gets leaked.

By properly using a secure password manager, its users only need to memorise the Master Password, that’s it. One password to rule them all.

Last edited:

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
Yes of course, but you still have to create a master password and memorize it for any password manager.

And how is it different from your email password being leaked to your Bitwarden master password being leaked, either way your toast. I guess you just have to decide whom protects their password data base the best. As far as I know neither can access your passwords.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Hot Take: Proton Pass compared to DashLane "Free" Plan following the announced upcoming changes to DashLane Free
protonpassdashlane.png

JustInTime

Level 1
Feb 21, 2022
I think using Password Managers of any ecosystem isn't a good idea whether it is apple, google or proton. I started off using Bitwarden and moved to KeePassXC with database file sync to my devices on local network using Syncthing with upto 15 backup whenever file changes. KeePassDX on android is excellent, Strongbox for Apple ecosystem dependents. Using PW of a VC-Funded is not good according to me because these companies are forced to cut the costs no matter what just look at LastPass.

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017

Proton’s password manager, Proton Pass, is rolling out a new feature that lets you share sign-ins using end-to-end encryption (E2EE). Instead of sharing a password over Gmail or a text, Proton will now let you safely give friends, family members, or co-workers access to things like streaming services, bank accounts, work logins, and more.

Proton launched Proton Pass earlier this year, allowing customers to store a vault of usernames, passwords, notes, bank cards, and email aliases using E2EE, which keeps sensitive information away from third parties, including Proton itself. But now, Proton is expanding its password manager to include secure sharing, giving you the ability to safely share this information with others.

You can share your passwords with others by selecting a vault or creating a new one within Proton Pass. Then select Share and enter the email address of the person you want to share your information with. From there, they’ll receive an invitation to access the vault. Proton will prompt them to create a Proton Pass account if they don’t have one already.

Proton notes that you can also change or revoke access to other users, giving you control over whether they can only view the items in your vault, edit them, or serve as an admin. That means you should easily be able to kick your ex out of your vault.

Secure sharing is free to all Proton Pass users. If you’re on a free plan, you can share your vaults with up to two other people. Meanwhile, those on Proton’s paid plan ($4.99 / month) can create up to 20 vaults and share each of them with up to nine people. To compare, Bitwarden’s free plan only lets you share your vaults with one other person, and the free version of NordPass doesn’t let you share passwords at all. 1Password also has a password-sharing feature, but it doesn’t offer a free plan.

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
The password manager Proton Pass has become a popular way for millions of people to create strong and unique passwords for their various online accounts and services while also keeping them safe and encrypted. Today, the company announced that it will offer a permanent price cut on its own Proton Pass Plus service, which offers extra features for password manager users.

Starting today, the price of Proton Pass Plus will go down from $3.99 a month to just $1.99 a month, when paid annually. That means one year of Proton Pass Plus will cost only $23.88.

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Proton Pass is launching its new app for Windows, allowing you to access our password manager from your desktop. As one of our community’s most requested features, it’s available to everyone starting today.

Proton Pass is the centerpiece of our effort to give you back control of your online identity. Besides letting you manage your passwords, Pass also offers hide-my-email aliases(new window) to ensure you’re the only one who can share your real email address and a built-in 2FA authenticator(new window) to increase the security level for all your accounts.

We also understand that a tool is only effective if people use it, which is why we put such focus on accessibility and ease of use. With offline support and an acclaimed user interface, the Proton Pass Windows app will allow you to have an even better experience.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.