Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Current Version 1.81.0 (Apr 21, 2013)

PS3 Media Server (Download + Overview)

Release Info + Changelog

PS3 Media Server is a DLNA-compliant UPnP Media Server.
Originally written to support the PlayStation 3, PS3 Media Server has been expanded to support a range of other media renderers, including smartphones, televisions, music players and more - all of which are listed on the right.
Because it is written in Java, PS3 Media Server supports all major operating systems, with versions for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X.
The program streams or transcodes many different media formats with little or no configuration.
It is powered by MEncoder, FFmpeg, tsMuxeR and AviSynth, which combine to offer support for a wide range of media formats.

Device Support:

Code:
Sony PlayStation 3
Microsoft XBOX 360
Sony Bravia
Google Android
Freebox HD
Freecom MusicPal
Pioneer Kuro
Nokia N900
Philips Aurea
Philips Net TV
Popcorn Hour
Asus O!Play
Xtreamer
AC Ryan PlayOn!HD
Brite-view CinemaTube
Samsung televisions
Philips Streamium
Western Digital WD TV Live
XBMC Media Center
Boxee

Screenshots:
[attachment=912]

Attachments

• ps3mediaserver.png
    ps3mediaserver.png
    178.8 KB · Views: 855

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
RE: PS3 Media Server 1.50.x

Impressive software, it works as it should and a only ~25MB download. The latest Java is downloaded if not installed, since it's required.

Once done, it does everything for you. Just enabled finding Media Server's on your PS3.

You can change a few settings such as; run as Windows service instead, and which drives to share. There are also a lot more settings (see attachment).

Note: Needed to allow Javaw.exe through Windows Firewall (Private Network) and EMET users might want to add Java.exe

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Detecting what TV you haven't isn't that accurate and it might load a little slower, but it still works. I found it best for what it was meant for, the PlayStation 3.
Managed to copy a 965MB file in 8 minutes, I suppose it depends what activity is happening on your home network. I find it easier to use this method to copy my music over.

You might need some unused RAM when using this, javaw.exe is using 800MB. Though, if the PC you're using for this, you shouldn't really be doing anything else on it. Haha.

Overall, I do recommend this software. Plus it looks like it is being actively developed. It's like magic, since all the other similar software(s) I've used, gave me problems.

MetalShaun

Level 1
Mar 3, 2011

Been using this software for a while now. It's the only Media server I have found that can Stream Bluray and Mkv files. Great to see its back being actively developed again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.