Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
computer does not turn on
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
replaced PSU
I have an old Pentium II desktop that the kids use. It runs Windows 7. No internet connection on that machine.
Yesterday evening my daughter said she presses the power button, and it blinks a couple times, but the computer doesn't turn on.
I put in a different PSU that I had salvaged from an even older computer, and the computer came back to life.
I went to sleep feeling good. Then my daughter tells me today that the computer died again. Exactly the same symptoms.
What's going on?

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
It sounds to me like just bad luck and both aging PSUs died. However, I would check the wall outlet wiring. Every home and every computer user should have access to a AC Outlet Tester to ensure your outlet is properly wired and grounded to Earth ground. I recommend one with a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupt) indicator as it can be used to test bathroom and kitchen outlets (outlets near water) too. These testers can be found for your type and voltage outlet, foreign or domestic, (like this one for the UK) at most home improvement stores, or even the electrical department at Wal-Mart. Use it to test all the outlets in the home and if a fault is shown, have it fixed by a qualified electrician.

Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I could replace it with an inexpensive computer with AMD A4, or AMD E2, or Intel Pentium G5420 3.8Ghz .
Celeron is cheaper, but I hate Celeron, too slow.
What's the best choice in that price range? I know nothing about AMD, I have always bought Intel.

Upvote 0

valvaris

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 26, 2015
Hello @shmu26

Sounds like the PC goes in to energy saving mode (HP, DELL, Packard Bell and a few generic Mainboards) - Try disabling hibernate and all other standby features...

It is Mainboard feature and it can be that proper drivers are missing. To gracefully power up again.

Troubleshooting:
- Unplug PC and uninstall the BIOS Battery to reset status and reinstall it after 10 - 20 sec.
- On first boot up check if BIOS has Energy features enabled and change it to your liking
- Under Windows 7 disable hibernate and all other Energy Saving features. -> Learning Windows 7: Manage Power Settings

Best regards
Val.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Hello @shmu26

Sounds like the PC goes in to energy saving mode (HP, DELL, Packard Bell and a few generic Mainboards) - Try disabling hibernate and all other standby features...

It is Mainboard feature and it can be that proper drivers are missing. To gracefully power up again.

Troubleshooting:
- Unplug PC and uninstall the BIOS Battery to reset status and reinstall it after 10 - 20 sec.
- On first boot up check if BIOS has Energy features enabled and change it to your liking
- Under Windows 7 disable hibernate and all other Energy Saving features. -> Learning Windows 7: Manage Power Settings

Best regards
Val.
It could be something like that, because after letting the computer sit for 24 hours, it started working again. I suspect that the extension cord was the culprit.

Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
another thing to check is the power switch on the case. :p:p:p:p:p
So at this point, I think you are right.
After a few days of experience with the machine, the issue is intermittent. Sometimes it turns on, and sometimes it doesn't. That sounds to me like a faulty power switch.
@anyone does that sound like the right diagnosis, and if so, how to repair it?

Upvote 0

abdou17

Level 2
Verified
May 3, 2013
After a few days of experience with the machine, the issue is intermittent. Sometimes it turns on, and sometimes it doesn't. That sounds to me like a faulty power switch.
i don't think it's a faulty power switch
but to be sure you can just short the 2 pins in the motherboard of the power switch you'll find it named POWER-SW
just remove it and "Take the metal end of a screw driver, make sure the power is on then using the metal head of the screwdriver and position it such that both of the pins make contact with the screwdriver"
don't worry it's totally safe it's just a 5V
unnamed.jpg

Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
i don't think it's a faulty power switch
but to be sure you can just short the 2 pins in the motherboard of the power switch you'll find it named POWER-SW
just remove it and "Take the metal end of a screw driver, make sure the power is on then using the metal head of the screwdriver and position it such that both of the pins make contact with the screwdriver"
View attachment 232819
Hey, thanks. I will have to try that as soon as I get a chance.

Upvote 0

mkoundo

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jul 21, 2017

or a cheap power switch to test:

Upvote 0

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
Those replacement switches are nice for troubleshooting but there is no assurance they will fit the case as far as mounting is concerned - so they are not a permanent solution.

If your case has a reset button, you can simply move the two wires for the reset button to the two pins on the motherboard used by the power button, then just use the Reset button as the power button from now on.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.