PureRa removes files neglected by other cleaners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
PureRa removes files omitted, neglected by other cleaners topic for those who like real clean like cats.

PureRa 1.7 download on Fred de Vries blog: http://fred-de-vries.blogspot.com/2011/07/purera-17.html

File size: 74.7 KB, portable version.

PureRa run on: XP/Vista/7.

Quote from another, ancient site that no loger exist:
'PuraRa is a simple tool that does a simple job: it removes files from your computer that other mainstream cleaning programs tend to oversee. Some of our targets can simply be removed to create some valuable space while others are removed in an attempt to repair certain problems because they will simply recreate themselves.'

'Targets that are currently removed by PureRa are:

- Config.msi Folder [The Config.msi folder contains backup of that are being installed or updated during an install. Sometimes a Windows Installer package is sloppy and doesn't automatically remove unpacked setup files and the Config.msi folder can get cluttered with useless files]

- Thumbs.db [when you view the contents of a folder in 'Thumbnail' or 'Filmstrip' view a system file called Thumbs.db is generated automatically by Windows XP. Thumbs.db contains a copy of each of the tiny preview images generated for image files in that folder so that they load up quickly the next time you browse that folder. Thumbs.db also stores your settings with regard to thumbnail and filmstrip view. Though they are small they may annoy you because there may be hundreds of them]

- Iconcache.db [The icons used in Windows are saved in an icon cache. These can become corrupted and lead to garbled/fuzzy icons. Deleting the Iconcache.db file will force Windows to re-create itself flawlessly]

- .sqm-files [sqm-files are created by MSN Messenger and Windows Live Messenger. It is rumored that they are created to become the reports that these programs will send if you turn on the option to allow Microsoft to gather information about your use of MSN Live Messenger (read surfing behavior). These reports are still being generated (as sqm-files) but not send]

- Desktop.ini [Desktop.ini is used to tell Windows how to display a folder. For example, enabling Thumbnail view creates a desktop.ini file in that folder which amongst other things, tells Windows to add an extra item to the View menu for that folder. Desktop.ini files are also used when you customize folders, change their icons etc.]'

I notch all: I click Next, then Check all.

All.:cool:

Thank you Fred de Vries!:cool:

PS. Bill Allin on yahoo groups wrote: 'PureRa is called a "system purification tool" because it removes everything that traces anything. I use it especially before defragging. It is too annoying for me to use daily because it removes all traces of logins, but once in a while I want everything out.'

EDIT: link changed, for the actual one: Fred de Vries blog, sorry.

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
- But if any one is uncomfortable with PureRa, or considers that it is not enough left files to clean with it, then rather use KCleaner, like me.

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Download site changed for the actual one, on the Fred de Vries blog.;)

Look on the first topic's post, please.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
luRrV.png

Reminds me of ATF Cleaner........ But I've never heard of this program anyway I've tried it and : Total space cleaned: 14.52 MB ... not that much if you ask me.. :D I'll stay with Ccleaner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.