upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Python is dead. Long live Python!

Python 2 has been one of the world’s most popular programming languages since 2000, but its death – strictly speaking, at the stroke of midnight on New Year’s Day 2020 – been widely announced on technology news sites around the world. But Python isn’t dead, because Python 3 has been around since the late 2000s.

So there will be no “interregnum” period during which Python doesn’t exist – just as in a hereditary monarchy, succession is considered technically instantaneous, ensuring an unbroken line. If you’re programmer or a sysadmin (and, in truth, a sysadmin is just a special sort of programmer who is expected to use their skills to code people out of the holes that others have coded them into), then you have almost certainly used Python at some point. And if you’ve never programmed in Python yourself, you’ve almost certainly used software written in Python, or relied on online services that were supported by software written in the Python language. So, given that Python 2 has been replaced by Python 3 without any interruption, and given that nothing bad happened when Python 1 switched over to Python 2 around the turn of the millennium, why is the “death” of Python 2 such a big deal now?
Python 2 software will still work, so there’s no immediate problem – the “death” of Python 2 is a conceptual issue, not a literal one. In other words, if you still have large Python 2 projects that you haven’t yet ported to Python 3, you’re not in imminent danger of your software stopping working. But the entire Python 2 environment will no longer be getting security fixes, making it a bit of a fool’s errand to carry on using it.

Source: Python is dead. Long live Python!

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Viva La Python.

1578190177389.png

This python wrapped itself around a cobra.... and the constriction of the python killed the cobra.

But...near death, the cobra was able to bite the python and cause its simultaneous demise.

Reminds me of a few marriages I've known.

This all leads to the analogy of the event in this photo to the above article.

Python programming language is analogous...

... hmmm. I've forgotten where I was going with all this.

So just Nevermind.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.