Battle Qihoo Total Security VS Eset Smart Security 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ajay123

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Nov 12, 2014
Which one is good when it comes to protection as well as perfomance??....
Thank you.

Kent

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 4, 2013
Tough choice :p I use ESS8 for its superior all round (firewall & antivirus ) protection and malicious website blocking;but for a free antivirus option Qihoo TS is quite decent.....

Reactions: Ajay123
D

Deleted member 21043

Hi,

Both products (ESET Smart Security and Qihoo) are good. ESET has good HIPS and have very good signatures and Qihoo has very good heuristics. However, I should also note Qihoo does have some false positives... :O

ESET:
- Lightweight
- Good signatures and a outstanding detection rate (check Malware Hub for more information on it's detection, or do some tests yourself. They are one of the best in my opinion).
- Good HIPS protection (can also be tweaked to be more secure and to receive better protection)
- Good user interface (I like the ESET interface)
- Never experienced any crashing issues before (whilst running a stable OS (this excludes Windows 10 testing I have done of course...), I have never experienced ESET kernel mode drivers or in general to return a BSOD due to a issue. Neither, have I ever experienced it crash. It's very stable. I have experienced crashes/BSOD with other security software in the past).

Qihoo:
- Can anyone let me know if it is lightweight?
- Good Heuristics which pickup a lot of malware (good zero day heuristics in my opinion).
- Good HIPS (in my opinion)
- Good User Interface (I like the UI :) )

Usually I see ESET and Qihoo at the very top with detection. :)

Paul Lee

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Oct 14, 2014
All have their respective traits but I choose ESET Smart Security 8.

-Very low resource usage
-Very low system impact
-User friendly
-Great signatures
-Great website filter
-Very responsive

It's a win-win situation with ESET.

Happy holidays!

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
ESET Smart Security 8 =one of the best choice for paid suites.
Qihoo Total Security = one of the best choice for free suites.

Actually when it comes from pure components that made from their own then its for ESET cause its been proved to be very effective at all matters.

Meanwhile for Qihoo TS very much effective for those wanted full locked protection due to numerous engines licensed.

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
I used to use Qihoo happily until I began finding things such as Windows Updates being blocked because of the Proactive Defence. I suggest if you are a user, go check the logs and see if anything has been blocked (by default, anything over 30 days old will have been purged from the records). Of course, 360 has a good cloud, and very nice heuristics, but if you have no connection then you only have offline databases which are probably over 12 hours old. So even though I could disable the Proactive Defence, still it isn't good enough for my taste. This is not to mention another, perhaps more serious problem which is that the Proactive Defence executable file is always busy, no mater what settings it has.

Baidu isn't good enough either. It's obvious that they're serious about their antivirus, because they've clearly invested a lot of money in it. But the problem is you simply don't see this investment resulting in fixes for old problems like the very slow Avira database updates, for example. It seems that the actual antivirus functions are not their main concern with this product.

avast! is a solid free option. Bitdefender may be a good free set-and-forget option. Both are good paid choices. Norton, ESET and Kaspersky would probably be better, though, although using the 30-day trial versions and analysing details of each program would be ideal for you to make a choice. Webroot was buggy when I tested it, didn't like it much anyway, so I don't recommend it.

I'm using Lavasoft Ad-Aware Free, for me the best Bitdefender-based choice in free editions. Stable, good interface, database updates are on par with Bitdefender, no additional components are installed if they are not used, does not nag you (only asks if you'd like to recommend it in social media after cleaning infections, nothing obtrusive).

For extra heuristics, I use Kompas AV as a companion.

Also you may not need an Internet Security package, sometimes a simple AV with Windows Firewall is enough. Sometimes less is more, fewer programs equal more stability, and sometimes even more safety.

Kent

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 4, 2013
ESET Smart Security 8 =one of the best choice for paid suites.
Qihoo Total Security = one of the best choice for free suites.

Actually when it comes from pure components that made from their own then its for ESET cause its been proved to be very effective at all matters.

Meanwhile for Qihoo TS very much effective for those wanted full locked protection due to numerous engines licensed.
Totally agree with you :D

E

eight

Qihoo uses Avira & Bitdefender engines while Eset has their own engine.

I personally prefer paid anti-virus over free anti-virus.

Eset Smart Security for me.

jerzy601

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 20, 2011
my choice is Eset is light, good detectability, friendly interface, low consumption of system resources and above all well-known company where you can trust.

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014

You need to use your own brain before opening threads like this. If you are just going to use whatever everyone else uses then you can't choose by yourself, leting someone else to do your job isn't great at all. Please, there is no real winner since they key for safety is your brain, AV's in general are a plus and most of them specific depending on user needs.

Last edited:
E

eight

You need to use your own brain before opening threads like this. If you are just going to use whatever everyone else uses then you can't choose by yourself

AV in general are a plus and most of them specific depending on user needs

On one hand I agree with you 100 % but on the other hand I beg to differ.

I totally agree with what you wrote above about using one's own brain & making your own choices.

But then again the purpose of forums like Malware Tips is to advise, guide & recommend to those who are not as

knowledgeable as the Gurus here on Malware Tips. Just my two cents.

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
On one hand I agree with you 100 % but on the other hand I beg to differ.

I totally agree with what you wrote above about using one's own brain & making your own choices.

But then again the purpose of forums like Malware Tips is to advise, guide & recommend to those who are not as

knowledgeable as the Gurus here on Malware Tips. Just my two cents.

I agree with you, why would you ask who's the winner at uber av 1 vs deluxe edition 2 av. There are plenty of tests all over the forums, there are reviews, technical info. There are the own AV websites feature list, that works. Asking who's best equals to no real answer.

Reactions: Ink
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.