Advice Request Qihoo,what is going on?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janl92l

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Nov 7, 2014
i need to say something. if u look at the google play store qihoo is now on place 3(at least in germany) with over 100 million downloads in 1-2 monst or something? it pushed all the big apps under like facebook etc. it seems like qihoo hijacked the phones or somthing(dont know how it works) and shown a massage that they have viruses if u surf the internet and redirect u to play store to download qihoo antivirus to fix it. I dont lie,i had the massage too while normal on internet like facebook,youtube etc and than teh popup pups up. seems like qihoo have done some illegal stuff there,im not sure. some of my friends got this virus popup too and are forced to install qihoo on there phone becuase it pups up all the time surfing the net. So pls,can anyone explain whats going on there?

i read some post on the google store under qihoo and they give them all 5 stars and write something like "i just got a pupop that i had viruses,downloaded qihoo and now my phone have no virus anymore" and sure,there are normal users think they have virus because they have no clue they dont even had a virus on there phone and than give it 5 stars. i can see so much of this on the store(germany) So realy,what is going on? its someting big.

postet it on wilders too,just want to know what is going on it seems realy strange.

Dau-Bui

Level 1
Verified
Jan 22, 2015
It's not illegal and they does not install threats. Their ads just treat people to download the app, then "scan" the devices and give some fake results, make the "victims" beleive that their devices have been infected and Qihoo saved them.
There are some similar ads, such as APUS launcher's.

It's funny these ads also tell that the WindowsPhone are also infected by Android threats :D

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
The problem here goes by advertisement which similar to a redirection of rogue/fake online scanner version since you will notify to install security product such as Qihoo 360, DU booster, and others

The product mentioned are prior legitimate and actually again advertisement takes to be problem.

To solve that, an adblocker should stop it. I've surf lots of websites and for me these cases are pretty normal and better ignore it.

Janl92l

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Nov 7, 2014
It's not illegal and they does not install threats. Their ads just treat people to download the app, then "scan" the devices and give some fake results, make the "victims" beleive that their devices have been infected and Qihoo saved them.
There are some similar ads, such as APUS launcher's.

It's funny these ads also tell that the WindowsPhone are also infected by Android threats :D
Well it seems to be illegal u have nothing installed,go to facebook,youtube or whatever and the massage pops up. that is not right for a security company? even if its legal,its some rough tactics.

Dau-Bui

Level 1
Verified
Jan 22, 2015
Well it seems to be illegal u have nothing installed,go to facebook,youtube or whatever and the massage pops up. that is not right for a security company? even if its legal,its some rough tactics.

I see your point. About being illegal, it's not: this app doesn't harm the device, it just gives "only they know" threats warning. Qihoo doesn't play nicely as they called themself "a security company", and acts like rough/ fake AVs as @jamescv7 said :)

Janl92l

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Nov 7, 2014
i have uninstalled all qihoo products from my pc/handy. Thats a no go for a "security company".

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
i use adblocker so i don't see any ads.

Qihoo do get promoted by some adwares and while installing some apps. I don't think it is very bad.

Adwares promotes a lot of softwares. If Qihoo is one of it then its is good for novice users because it will protect the users from malware.

Reactions: Janl92l

Janl92l

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Nov 7, 2014
i use adblocker so i don't see any ads.

Qihoo do get promoted by some adwares and while installing some apps. I don't think it is very bad.

Adwares promotes a lot of softwares. If Qihoo is one of it then its is good for novice users because it will protect the users from malware.
That is not what i mean. u dont need to donwload anything. u just need to open the browser and go to an random site like facebook,youtub etc and than this pupup pops up and tells u u have 3 viruses and need to download qihoo to fix it. but in fact u dont even have any viruses and it is a false massage. my point is,why this popup even comes without doing anything just browsing the web.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.